2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 Mar 2001 19:30:33 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] New BRAC Legislation Introduced

On Tuesday February 27th legislation to amend the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Act of 1990 was introduced by Senator McCain.  Senate bill 397 (S. 397) was referred to the Senate Committee on Armed Services.

The majority of the amendments deal with changes in language to accomodate two new BRAC rounds (2003 and 2005).  However, the bill contains new language on privatization:

"carry out the privatiziation in place of a military installations recommended for closure or relignment by the Commission in each report after 2000 only if privatization in place is a method of closure or realignment of the installation specified in the recommendation of the Commission in such report and is determined to be the most cost effective method of implementation of the recommendation;"

This language is recommennded for insertion in Section 2904(a) of the 1990 bill.

We will post a more complete analysis once we have done a thorough review of the language.

To see the full text of S. 397 go to:  http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query
If that doesn't work go to Thomas http://thomas.loc.gov and enter in the bill number.

Aimee

Aimee R. Houghton