2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Jan 2001 23:10:51 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Housing on closed range in San Diego?

(from Stella Bourassa <StellaVB@aol.com>

I cannot begin to express my utter dismay and disappoint with this
proposal.    I do believe in our military and DoD yet I must question
who is making such  dangerous decisions.  Would anyone 'in charge' with
this proposal and the  Miramar base care to explain how this branch of
the military could allow  housing on such a dangerous piece of land?  I
grew up in Southern California  and am well acquainted with Miramar.
 There was nothing more impressive than  watching the fighters fly
overhead, such a sense of pride would well up  within.  How could anyone
within DoD allow housing to happen with such  contamination underneath
these proposed homes?  Children have already been  injured, how could
anyone within DoD sleep at night KNOWING an accident will  occur and
that it's just a question of when!  Worse than this, what is the  water
quality these homes will have pumped into their homes?  So often those
of us involved in the UXO issues talk of the danger of finding them and
the  consequential explosions....WHAT of the environmental contamination
they  produce to our ground and groundwater?

I understand DoD is listening to those who are involved in the serious
hazardous issues surrounding these military sites but when will we hear
DoD stand up and say NO MORE talk of development of any kind till these
sites are cleaned up and the groundwater contamination is identified and
'contained'?   I would appreciate hearing from someone in the highest of
authority within DoD respond to either myself or CPEO's forum!

Sincerely/Respectfully,
Stella V. Bourassa

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org