2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: bieke@coqui.net
Date: 22 Jan 2001 21:01:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] (repost) Viequenses demand end to military transit on civilian roads

(ENGLISH VERSION)

Committee for the Rescue and Development of Vieques

P.O. Box 1424 Vieques, Puerto 00765

Tel. (787) 741-0716 Fax 741-0358 Email: bieke@coqui.net

Press Release

Viequenses demand end to military transit on civilian roads

Spokespersons for the Committee for the Rescue and Development of Vieques
(CRDV) petitioned the Governor, Sila M. Calder=F3n, to take the measures
necessary to remove the Riot Police from Vieques and prohibit military use of
the state roads on the island municipality. The Governor promised the
Viequenses she would remove the Riot Police from the entrance to Camp
Garc=EDa, where they permit the flow of traffic in and out of the base and
provide escorts to the military on civilian roads.

Nilda Medina, member of the CRDV, said "military traffic on Vieques streets
represents a danger and a provocation for our community. Navy trucks have
caused at least a dozen accidents this year since the 4th of May. The
immediate cessation of military activity includes the cessation of movement
on our roads of equipment and personnel associated with Naval operations."

The Viequenses pointed out that military vehicles transit through school
zones placing students in danger and interrupting the teaching process. They
say the route used by the Navy passes by a housing project, three churches,
several work centers and the hospital.

Members of the CRDV discussed this situation at a recent meeting with Vieques
mayor, D=E1maso Serrano, who agrees with the urgent need to stop military
vehicular movement in the civilian sector. One of the first resolutions to be
presented to the new municipal assembly calls for a prohibition of military
use of municipal streets and urges a similar action by agecies that regulate
use of the state roads here.

"The Riot Police make it possible for the Navy to use the civilian area for
its operations that cause so much damage to our people," said Ismael
Guadalupe, of the CRDV. "If the government succeeds in stopping military use
of the civilian sector, the Riot Police won't be needed. If the government
proves incapable of putting and end to this situation, our people will take
the steps necessary, using methods of peaceful civil disobedience," finished
Guadalupe.

Contact: Robert Rabin 787 741-0716