2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: starcompany@erols.com
Date: 9 Jan 2001 19:12:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Leukemia Victims

Re:  Mr. Hugus comments

Comment 1:  "I was under the impression that DOD was, and is, in the
deepest sense, protecting us from the enemies of the United States."

Response:  Residual groundwater contamination in Europe from petroleum
fuels from bombed facilities in WWI and WWII has still been unremediated
in many places and is believed to be  responsible for cancer and other
illnesses/ailments in Germany, France, Italy, and other former war-zone
areas.  Most of the impacted people are not and have never been "enemies
of the United States". Indeed, the CPEO comments of late have not
addressed radiation injuries to our enemies, but, rather, our allies.

Comment 2: "What would you suggest DOD employ - harsh words perhaps?"

Response:  Well, the new commander-in-chief might go a long ways.  No
war at all might be another.  Opps, then we might not need a DOD.  So
much for job security.  Besides, is it not reasonable for us to attempt
to eliminate or lessen injuries to our "friends".  Additionally, as I
recall, this has been a United Nations "peace-keeping mission", not a
"war".  Why are we there anyway?

Comment 3:  "Remember it is easy to take liberty for granted, when you
have never had it taken from you."

Response:  In principal, I agree, but having potable water and
breatheable air taken from you is even harder to take than having
liberties taken away.  And why do you believe that I have not had
certain liberties taken away?  Indeed, I do not take liberty for granted
at all.  The CPEO e-mails have been addressing injuries to our allies
who are trying to perserve or establish liberty, not take liberties
away.  At least that's the party line. . .

I have no idea who Fenoy Butler is and certainly hope that I don't get
bombed, have an IRS audit, or be politically disenfranchised for writing
this response.  But I feel compelled to point that we are all aware of
the seriousness of the problems we are dealing with, regardless of which
"side" you are on.  However, NOT pointing out environmental problems and
trying to address them is NOT a solution to
anything.  Afterall, we are hurling through space at thousands of miles
per hour hanging on to the outside of a big rock ball and there's only
about 100 miles of air between us and oblivion.  Unless the DOD has
developed something that I don't know about, if we're not careful, our
planet will look like Mars.  Then what?

Louis B. Fournier