2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:43:39 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Wonderful (?) World of Oz

[This was posted to the list by Katherine Hopkins,
katiehopkins@earthlink.net]

I originally sent this letter on Friday, 10/13/00. I did not include my
name, address and phone numbers. If you print my letter, please state
that I am from DeSoto, Kansas. I live in an unincorporated area of the
county, .5 mile directly east of the Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant. I
want people to realize that I live in very close proximity to the plant.
Thank you.

Where were the elected officials at the GSA forum (Wednesday, 10/11/00
at 7:00 p.m. at DeSoto High School, DeSoto, Kansas) on Section 106 of
the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966?  Did anyone know about
it? This was a forum regarding "The Act that REQUIRES Federal agencies
to take into account the effects of their undertakings on historic
properties and afford the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation a
reasonable opportunity to comment". Where was Dr. Powers, the head of
the State Historic Preservation Officer? Where has Dr. Powers been
throughout this whole process? Is there really a Dr. Powers? Is there
really a State Historic Preservation Office or is it just a figment of
someone's imagination? I'm beginning to wonder if there was even a
National Historic Preservation Act of 1966? The GSA certainly can't
convince me!

In the "Regulations Flow Chart" which was distributed by the GSA prior
to the forum, step 1 (It is at the top of the flowchart which I
interpret as being step 1), it states "Initiate Section 106 Process,
Establish undertaking, Identify appropriate SHPO/THPO Plan to involve
the public, Identify other consulting parties". If that is step 1, then
why are they just holding a public forum on Section 106?   If that is
Step 1, then why would the Johnson County Commissioners already be
scheduling a vote on a possible transfer? How stupid does the GSA think
we are? The only reason they had the forum is because TOTO has filed a
lawsuit to make them fulfill their legal obligations to the citizens of
this country. That's why! Does this sound like angry rhetoric? I only
try to be an expert at "using language effectively and persuasively".
Another definition of rhetoric is "language that is elaborate,
pretentious, insincere, or intellectually vacuous". That to me is a
perfect description of the what the GSA has been saying for the last 2
years. I'm not an expert, but weren't the results of these historic
studies supposed to be included in the Environmental Assessment? That's
right--they couldn't have been. The Environmental Assessment was issued
12/23/99. The public forum was just held on October 11, 2000! I find it
very hard to believe (Let's face it-I was not convinced-even in the
slightest!) that the GSA's attempts to identify historic properties has
been on-going for several years as stated by Mark Duffy, a GSA lawyer.
Rather,  I believe that the attempt to ignore their obligation to
identify historic properties has been on-going for several years.

A recent political advertisement for a candidate for office in Kansas
made a statement to the effect that you have to speak up and not be
afraid to stand for principal to restore honesty and integrity in
government. Well now is the perfect opportunity and I don't hear too
many elected officials uttering a word about the transfer of this land
and how it is being handled. Votes were cast on legislation pertaining
to the transfer of this project prior to public forums being completed.
The legislation pertained to the Oz Entertainment Company and as we all
know, they lobbied hard for it. And this hasn't been a joint effort from
the very beginning? The GSA isn't sleeping with Oz? Who are they trying
to fool?

This project should never have been brought to this table. It shouldn't
even be on the list of the ingredients. But here it is--the entree!
Well, this is one entree that is overdone, tough indigestible, totally
unpalatable!! But please--don't throw it to the Dogs. I don't think TOTO
has the stomach for it either!

One more comment. This has been a project based upon deceipt from Day 1!
Is anyone getting the picture? It's time for everyone (pro or con) to
let the Johnson County Commissioners (if they will listen) know how they
feel. Send your letter to:

County Commissioners
Office of the Board of County Commissioners
111 South Cherry, Suite 3200
Olathe, Kansas 66061

Remind them that if they don't hear you now, they might hear you in the
voting booth!