2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:49:33 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] EPA & NAVY ISSUE CLEANUP DECISION FOR AREA A WEAPONS CENTER AT THE

US EPA REGION 1

Contact: Alice Kaufman, EPA Community Affairs Office
(617-918-1064)

For immediate release:June 29, 2000; Release #00-06-30

EPA & NAVY ISSUE CLEANUP DECISION FOR AREA A WEAPONS CENTER AT THE NAVAL
SUBMARINE BASE-NEW LONDON IN GROTON, CT

BOSTON -The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Navy today
issued a six month, $81,200 dollar cleanup plan for the Area A Weapons
Center at the Naval Submarine Base-New London in Groton, Connecticut. The
cleanup plan calls for the selective excavation and either off-site
disposal or asphalt batching of contaminated soils and sediments. Samples
will be taken throughout the cleanup to ensure that cleanup goals are met.

"This cleanup plan is the successful result of a close partnership with the
Navy, the state and EPA," said Ira Leighton, EPA New England acting-deputy
administrator. "This is the seventh cleanup decision reached for the sub
base, and we are pleased with the continued progress being made at the site."

"Naval Submarine Base New London remains steadfast in our efforts and
progress toward the clean up of all base sites falling under the
Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act
(CERCLA). We're working closely with Federal and state regulators. Indeed,
this plan is the culmination of a great deal of work and cooperation
between the Navy, the U.S. EPA, and the Connecticut Department of
Environmental Protection.

Overall, it really speaks to the Navy's continuing commitment to the health
and safety of the communities in which we all live and work as well as the
protection of the environment which we all share," said Captain H.A. "Ray"
Lincoln, Jr., Commanding Officer, Naval Submarine Base New London.

The key elements of the cleanup are:

* Removal of approximately 200 cubic yards of contaminated soil and sediment;

* Disposal of excavated contaminated waste at an approved off-site waste
facility, or;

* Asphalt batching of the excavated materials (this technology mixes the
excavated material with asphalt and heats it to form a stable solid which
immobilizes the chemical contaminants.);

* Monitoring to ensure that cleanup goals are met.

The Naval Submarine Base-New London was listed on the National Priority
List on August 30, 1990. The Area A Weapons Center, one of nineteen cleanup
sites on the base, is located in the northeastern portion of the Base,
bordering the northwestern edge of Area A Wetland and the southeastern end
of Triton Avenue. The Area A Weapons Center consists of the southern bunker
area and Building 524. The bunkers are currently used for the storage of
live and simulator torpedoes and missiles. The location also includes three
drainage areas. Building 524, historically used for administration, minor
torpedo assembly, and storage of simulator torpedoes, was determined not to
have contaminated soil or sediment and therefore is not expected to be part
of this cleanup effort.

                                            # # #