2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Susan Gawarecki <loc@icx.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 09:40:56 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Abandoned shells not radioactive: gov't officials

I was copied on this message regarding the abandoned "shells" -- as the
author apparently did not post it to the CPEO list, I thought I'd pass
it on.  To my knowledge, casings are not made of depleted uranium, only
the projectiles.

--Susan Gawarecki

<<Wow, did this story miss an important fact or what?????

These were NOT artillery shells.  They were empty 25mm casings!!

Empty!

No propellant, no projectile.  Just empty casings!!!

Even the Okinawa news media got that fact correct and they hate us!  The
mainland Japanese papers, who don't necessarily hate us, even ran photos
of them, taken by their own photographers and printed without
manipulation.  I wonder why the story below missed such an important
FACT????

If I knew the source (newspaper, news service, rumor monger) of this
story, I'd tell them the same thing!

BILLY E. BIRDWELL, Lt Col, USAF
Deputy Director of Public Affairs, US Forces, Japan>>
Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director
Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee, Inc.
136 S Illinois Ave, Ste 208, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
Phone (865) 483-1333; Fax (865) 482-6572; E-mail loc@icx.net