2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:22:04 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] McClellan Air Force Base (California) RAB Dissolution

[This was posted to the list by Diane M. Peterson,
<dmpetersonjaxfl@juno.com>]

Lenny Siegel:

In early August, 1998, the Captain of our base began preparing for his
retirement, and decided he needed to dissolve the Cecil Field RAB and
leave everything neat and tidy.  However, the Captain did not count on
meeting a first class pitbull type of community co-chair...I just did
not give him the courtesy of a telephone which he had not done for me,
and telephoned the Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense,
Washington, D.C.  They faxed me the Management Guidance for the Defense
Environmental Restoration Program (revised and replaces the DERP
management guidance issued in 1994 and is effective until superseded.  I
later learned that our Captain already had a copy of the document and
had neglected to provide a copy for the Community Co-Chair.

The cover memorandum states that new sections have been added on
relative risk, performance measures, relationships with regulatory
agencies, formerly used defense sites and the Federal Facilities
Environmental REstoration Dialogue Committee recommendations.  The
document spells out the responsibilities of the RAB and provides the
appropriate policy for RAB Adjournment.

Key Words:  RAB adjournment should not be an independent, unilateral
decision on the part of DoD.  The installation must make the decision to
adjourn a RAB with general agreement from the RAB members and in
consultaton with the community as a whole.  Adjournment of a RAB may be
appropriate under specific circumstances.
(Three listed.)

If this RAB does not have the adjournment policy, contact Patricia
Ferrebee,  Washington, D.C. at (703) 695-6107 or fax (703) 697-7413 for
a copy and help.

Diane M. Peterson, Community Co-Chair (5+ years)
Cecil Field Restoration Advisory Board
Jacksonville, Florida
email:  dmpetersonjaxfl@juno.com