2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Kutak_R@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 13:53:49 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] IR3M

Lenny,
Many of us have been patient beyond reason while the fiddling has gone
on. This sounds like an effort to delay and obfuscate this important
issue. I do not hold you accountable for that, and I respect the fact
that you would abide by a request to withhold this important information
because the originator asked you to. The consequences of not abiding
would be the loss of a significant resource  for information, CPEO. But
this issue is not the exclusive province of OSD and EPA.  It has
implications for communities and people.
There are some that say that going to court is the only way to get
results out of OSD and the services. I do not hold with that theory, but
it is activities like this that encourage that kind of thinking. The
issue at hand is  complex, controversial and expensive. In addition, it
has implications for readiness and training, public health and safety.
But it is not incapable of resolution.Such resolution will not be
accomplished by withholding the information from release.
Holding up its release for the lame and transparent reason you were
given is a message in itself. The Federal Register publication is not in
the too hard box. Federal agencies do it all the time. If they need
help with that, they can call me and I will explain how it is done.

Barry