2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: joelf@cape.com
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:47:40 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Mass. DEP Statement on Nomans "Standard"

Dear Folks:

Since President Clinton issued his directive stating the Vieques impact
area would be cleaned up to the "South Weymouth Standard" there has been
some question whether he knew what he was talking about. The following
correspondence from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental
Protection (MDEP) provides a definitive answer. The impact area assoicated
with S. Weymouth is actually Nomans Land Island. MDEP is the regulatory
agency in charge of the site.

Joel

>March 14, 2000
>
>Dr. Joel Feigenbaum
>24 Pond View Drive
>E. Sandwich, MA 02537
>
>Mr. Richard Hugus
>5 Amvets Avenue
>Falmouth, MA 02540
>
>Mr. Paul Zanis
>26 Cove Road
>Forestdale, MA 02644
>
>RE:     Nomans Land Island, Chilmark, MA
>        RTN 4-13390
>
>Dear Gentlemen:
>
>Thank you for your letter dated February 21, 2000, and for the questions you
>raised in the February 21, 2000, meeting with Department of Environmental
>Protection staff.  DEP appreciates your interest in the assessment and
>remediation of hazardous materials, including unexploded ordnance (UXO), at
>Nomans Land Island.
>
>Your letter asked for a response to the question, "Does DEP agree that a
>cleanup "standard" exists for Nomans (SOWEYNAS).?"  The response actions at
>Nomans Land Island have not been shown to meet our risk-based standards.
>
>DEP believes that the standards established in the Massachusetts Contingency
>Plan (310 CMR 40.0000) are the basis for determining that cleanup is
>protective of health, safety, and the environment.  DEP approved two
>preliminary response action at Nomans Land Island.
>
>Dr. Joel Feigenbaum
>Mr. Richard Hugus
>Mr. Paul Zanis
>March 15, 2000
>Page Two
>
>The first addressed oil contamination.  It included removing
oil-contaminated
>soils and source area tank and piping debris, together with the oil that had
>not yet leaked from the tanks, but which presented a threat of release.  The
>second preliminary response action was approved, with conditions, to address
>hazardous materials (removal of UXO and UXO debris).  These actions should
>not be construed as "standard" but instead preliminary action to address
time
>sensitive concerns.
>
>A comprehensive site assessment is in the initial stages at Nomans Land
>Island and is directed toward establishing the nature and extent of oil and
>hazardous material contamination and evaluating releases and threats of
>release and their associated human and ecological risk.  Compliance with MCP
>performance standards requires a determination of the nature and extent of
>contamination and the risk it presents to health, safety, public welfare,
and
>the environment.  Future meetings with the U.S. and the U.S. Fish and
>Wildlife Service will evaluate the progress of work to date and outline any
>additional requirements to evaluate the nature and extent of contamination.
>
>DEP thanks you for your interest.  Background materials on the MCP
process as
>discussed at our meeting are attached.  If we can be of further assistance,
> [...]

Joel Feigenbaum
ph: (508) 833-0144
24 Pond View Drive
E. Sandwich MA 02537

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at

http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com
Enlighten your in-box.         http://www.topica.com/t/15