2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:23:16 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REMINDER - Western Stakeholders' Forum

Happy new year!  Here's a reason for you to visit San Francisco in
February.

Western Stakeholders' Forum  On Land Use Controls in Federal Facility
Cleanup

SPONSORS:  The Center for Public Environmental Oversight (CPEO) and the
International City/County Management Association (ICMA)

WHERE: Hastings College of Law, San Francisco

WHEN: The first forum will take place on February 11-13, 2000.  A second
is scheduled to take place on the east coast in the
Baltimore/Washington, DC area in late spring/early summer.

REGISTRATION: Please send your registrations forms by FEBRUARY 1, 2000.
All participants are required to fill out a registration form, which is
available at the CPEO website http://www.cpeo.org.  Please download the
form and fax it to Pauline Simon at 415-904-7765.  We will confirm
receipt of your registration via email or fax. If you would need us to
fax the form or send you an electronic version, please contact Pauline
Simon at: psimon@cpeo.org or call 415-405-7750.

SCHOLARSHIPS: Travel scholarships are still available for public
stakeholders, local government officials, tribal representatives, and
state regulators.  THE SCHOLARSHIP RECEIPT DEADLINE IS JANUARY 12, 2000.

The Scholarship Application Forum is available at the CPEO website
http://www.cpeo.org for you to download.  If you would like an
electronic version or a hardcopy faxed to you, please contact Pauline
Simon at: psimon@cpeo.org or call 415-405-7750.

BACKGROUND: As many of you know Land Use Controls or Institutional
Controls are increasingly being used before, during, and in many cases
after cleanup has occurred at federal facility sites.  Many questions
surround the use of such controls, such as their long-term effectiveness
in protecting human health and safety, who is responsible for
maintaining and enforcement of such controls-physical and
administrative, whose responsible for funding, what is the legal
liability, are Land Use Controls just short-term fixes that have serious
long-term ramifications, when are Land Use Controls appropriate?

These are just some of the questions we will be discussing during these
two forums.  At the San Francisco forum we hope to begin to forge a Land
Use Controls agenda, based upon participant recommendations, that we
will then take to the east coast forum for further development and
refinement.

Please join us in San Francisco in February of 2000 for the first of
these forums.  There is no fee for this forum and your participation
will help to ensure that a diverse set of viewpoints is represented.

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at

http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com

Get your favorite topic delivered daily.
http://www.topica.com/t/11