2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: pschles@whrc.org
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:55:24 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Propellants analyses of guns, tanks, and mortars??

Greetings,

The citizens of the MMR Impact Area Groundwater Study Review Team are
looking for sources of information on gun, tank, and mortar propellants
analysis; this comes up as an agenda item at our meeting on January 20,
as someone from the .S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive
Medicine (USACHPPM)is supposed to be coming to enlighten us. To prepare
for that discussion, we would like to review studies/documents in the
literature, gray or otherwise, which discuss gunnery (as well as M16,
and other small arms) and/or mortar and tank propellants, in light of
their likely effects on our local soils and groundwater.  We did find a
single specific article on that subject from a study from the mid-1980's
(Paul Ase, et al at Illinois Institute of Technology), which concluded
that of some ninety-two propellant constituents, many are inhalable
heavy metals, and compounds having potential to toxicologically
compromise environmental and human health. Unfortunately, I've not found
follow-up materials to corroberate and/or extend that work. If anyone
can help expand our knowledge-base (with experienced persons, study
reports, and published research), please get in touch. I'm sure that
there are others out there who are just dying to know the answer to this
question too. Luckily, M16s and other small arms are the only weapons
allowed to have continued use on MMR, yet if the findings of the Ase et
al study are more widespread, it may be time to change that practice as
well, or at least curtail it until 'green' bullets are also accompanied
by 'green' propellants. Please advise. Thanks much.

Peter Schlesinger

--
Peter Schlesinger
MMR Impact Area Review Team

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at

http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com

Get your favorite topic delivered daily.
http://www.topica.com/t/11