1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: doobage@localnet.com
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:15:27 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] NAS Alameda Point RAB

-From Marsden Chen

Whenever the ATSDR or a State Health Department conducts a cancer study
(say), I assume that either of
them includes as part of the study a review of the archives to determine
how many and types of cancers
may have existed in a particular neighbourhood; additionally they would
also collect and include current
data in such a study. Conclusions on whether the cancers could be
extrapolated back to a particular
hazardous waste site could be based on the entire data set. My guess is
that use of past data is valid,
BUT you should call the ATSDR or your State Health Department and ask in
general terms if this guess is
correct - if I am correct that use of archived data is valid in assessing
cancer risk for a site, then I
think you'll have your answer, which in fact would increase the RAB
Co-Chair's fear of legal claim -
sounds as if the Co-Chair is fearful of making a wave(?). But if the data
shows an impact then
responsibility and liability must be placed somewhere. I'll check with the
Health Department here also.

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

Got a Favorite Topic to Discuss?  Start a List at Topica.
http://www.topica.com/t/4