1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: zap59@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:09:38 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Fwd: EPA's letter of Intent to issue an order to NGB

We always said that the military can do whatever it wants. Well, now we are
going to make them accountable and they are going to clean it up!

                              Peace,
                                       Paul

.10/26/99
.TO:  IARTeam
.FROM:  Austine Frawley, USEPA-New England
.RE:  The letter reproduced below was faxed to NGB today, 10/26/99.
Wordperfect file [NOT] attached.  I will bring hard copies of the signed
letter for distribution at the 10/28/99 IART meeting. Austine

UNITED STATES ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY REGION 1 NEW ENGLAND

ELECTRONIC FILE COPY - SENT VIA FAX AND E-MAIL

October 25, 1999

General Russell Davis Chief, National Guard Bureau 2500 Army Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-2500

.Re: Massachusetts Military Reservation

Dear General Davis:

When EPA issued an administrative order to the National Guard Bureau in
1997 to conduct a groundwater investigation at the Massachusetts
Military Reservation, our goal was to determine how military activities
at the Impact Area and Training Ranges may have contaminated or
otherwise presented a threat to the sole source aquifer that underlies
the area and that serves as the primary future drinking water source to
upper Cape Cod.  While there is still  substantial investigatory work to
be conducted under that order, the study has identified areas of
significant contamination in soil and in groundwater. These areas
include Demolition Pit 1, the KD Range, and several groundwater plumes
emanating from the Impact Area.

This letter is to inform you that EPA intends to issue an order to the
National Guard Bureau in the near future that will require the Bureau to
conduct remediation activities at these areas.  Such an order is
necessary to limit the migration of contaminants from soil into the
aquifer and to remediate contaminated groundwater before it migrates
further.

Once areas have been adequately characterized, the order will require
the National Guard Bureau  to conduct a feasibility study to develop and
evaluate various remedial technologies.  Following a selection of the
appropriate remedy by EPA, the National Guard will be required to
conduct remedial design and, ultimately, to construct, operate and
maintain the selected remedy.  We intend to coordinate our efforts under
this order with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
so that our cleanup criteria address their concerns.

Finally, when I met with Generals Shultz and Van Antwerp recently, we
agreed that it would be useful for EPA to meet with NGB project staff to
offer our input on schedule and costs of the MMR project.  My staff will
be meeting with Major Knott in the next several weeks to discuss work that
EPA anticipates will required of the National Guard Bureau in the
next year.   We expect to include in that discussion anticipated
remediation work.  This will help the Bureau in its budgeting process so
that the funding shortfalls that hampered progress last year will not be a
problem in the future.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to call me at 617-918-1011.

Sincerely,
/s/
John P. DeVillars
Regional Administrator

cc: Senator Edward Kennedy
Senator John F. Kerry
Rep.  William Delahunt
Impact Area Review Team
William Frank, EPA,OFFE
Millie Garcia Surrette, MADEP
Len Pinaud, MADEP
Jan Drake, MADEP

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

Got a Favorite Topic to Discuss?  Start a List at Topica.
http://www.topica.com/t/4