1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: maico55@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:18:40 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Health Risk Assessments

RE:  Marty Martinson--Former NAS Alameda

    The Health Risk Assessment Process is flawed in the fact that servicemen
and their families move frequently.  By the time a health problem surfaces,
they are at another base, maybe having moved at least once if not several
times since a possible contamination occurred.   This was brought home loud
and clear when a daughter who had lived on several bases in the past ten
years was diagnosed with a rare type of lymphoma.  On one base she lived on
top of a former dump site-on another she lived on near a base where Agent
Orange was stored (a study has shown higher incidences of cancers in this
area).  Now that her husband is stationed at another base, she has been
diagnosed with this rare form of lymphoma.  Is it connected to any of the
bases?--we don't know.  Do those bases have her lymphoma noted as a cancer
in
their area?  Of course not, she has moved.  I feel that this is certainly
not
an isolated case and I believe that any cancer that is noted at a military
base or hospital should be reported to ATSDR along with all the bases on
which the person has served or the spouse has lived on or near.   That would
enable the studies that are performed at these bases to have more credible
data.

Sandy Steele
(formerly  March Air Force Base RAB member)

1361 E. Snowball Circle
Sandy, UT  84092
Maico55@aol.com

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

Got a Favorite Topic to Discuss?  Start a List at Topica.
http://www.topica.com/t/4