1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Marsden and June Chen <doobage@localnet.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:09:46 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Do State Environmental Laws Apply To The New National Nuclear Security Agency?

I read the first paragraphs of your piece on the New National Security
Agency and
the application of State Laws - did not go any further, because of my
understanding of the current system. I have been told that the world is
divided
into "really hot" and "low level" radiation. Originally the Nuclear Regulatory
Agency regulated all systems, then this role was passed to the U.S.
Department of
Energy. DOE regulates and oversees every bit of the "really hot" systems
and waste
and States are allowed no role; DOE, USEPA and the States all participate
in the
"low level" concerns. If Congress has so written Section 3261 that the NNSA
will
not be subject to State Laws, it is not a roll-back of environmental laws
but only
a continuation of the existing system. We know how poorly the NRC and the
DOE has
handled high level radioactive waste and the NNSA will continue the horror
show.

Seth Kirshenberg wrote:

> [...]
> the court said, "section 118 states only to what extent - the same as any
> person - federal installations must comply with applicable state
> requirements; it does not identify the applicable requirements."  Id.
>         The Court agreed with the federal agencies' argument that the word
> "requirements," as used in section 118, meant only substantive
> requirements, not "procedural" requirements, such as permits or enforcement
> mechanisms.   (As described below, the Court's distinction between
> substantive and procedural requirements could come into play in
> interpreting section 3261.)  Consequently, the Court held that the federal
> agencies did not have to obtain permits from Kentucky, even though the
> permits were the exclusive means by which the state implemented and
> enforced the "substantive requirements" of the state's corollary of the
> Clean Air Act.
>
> In reaching this result, the Court:
>
> · Read section 118 to include the word "applicable" modifying
> "requirements," when the word "applicable" did not exist in section 118.
> · Ignored the phrase "to the same extent as any person" in section 118.
> · Created a distinction not present in the Clean Air Act between
> "procedural" and "substantive" requirements.
>
> Congress acted swiftly to nullify this decision and a companion decision
> concerning the Clean Water Act by amending both acts to waive immunity for
> procedural and substantive requirements (including permits).  This was not
> a simple matter of adding the words "procedural" and "permit."  The waiver
> grew from 69 words in the 1970 version to 221 words in the 1976 version.
>
> The Supreme Court demonstrated its continuing hostility to state regulation
> of federal facilities in Department of Energy v. Ohio, 503 U.S. 607, 112
> S.Ct. 1627 (1992).  That case involved the waivers of sovereign immunity in
> the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act ("RCRA") and the Clean Water
> Act.  The issue was whether either act allowed states to assess civil
> penalties against federal agencies for violation of state water quality or
> hazardous waste laws.  The Court analyzed the following language from the
> Clean Water Act:
>
> "any citizen may commence a civil action on his own behalf--
>         "(1) against any person (including ... the United States ...) who is
> alleged to be in violation of (A) an effluent standard or limitation under
> this chapter or (B) an order issued by the Administrator or a State with
> respect to such a standard or limitation....
> "The district courts shall have jurisdiction ... to enforce such an
> effluent standard or limitation, or such an order ... as the case may be,
> and to apply any appropriate civil penalties under [33 U.S.C. s 1319(d) ]."
> 33 U.S.C. s 1365(a) (emphasis added).  It also analyzed the following
> language from RCRA:
>
> [A]ny person may commence a civil action on his own behalf--
>         (1)(A) against any person (including ... the United States) ...
who is