1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: OrdToxics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:48:41 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: MMR Munitions Cleanup - Letter to the Editor

8-27-99

Hello Friends of FOTP:

Here is something I want to share with all of you who have an interest in the
Ordnance and Explosives Waste (OEW) cleanup at Fort Ord, CA.

Our explosives cleanup issues and community involvement issues are not
isolated, nor unique to our struggle with the Army here at Fort Ord, CA.

The attacks on individuals, community activists and local residents is geared
to undermining their credibility and thereby getting the public to discount
an important message.  The message is, ... the military is shirking its
responsibility to cleanup its post cold war environmental trash piles
(bases)!

Our issues are the same.  However, there is one big difference, the state of
Massachusetts environmental department, EPA-Region I, Rep. Delahunt and the
local newspaper (Cape Cod Times) are working in support of their "community
activists," ... not against them!

I own a home on Cape Cod, next to this Massachusetts Military Reservation and
have attended some of those base cleanup public meetings.  I was shocked at
the high level of support given to the "community participants" by the
regulatory agencies and the press.  "Community activists" have no problem
getting their information and opinions accurately reported in the local press.

Given the political climate created by our representatives, I doubt if we
will ever see letters to the editor like this one printed in our local
newspapers (Monterey County Herald).  Many in this community seem to have
forgotten what 1776 was all about!

Maybe its time for our regulators, politicos and press folks to take a little
field trip back to the heart of the American Revolution, so they can
reacquaint themselves with who they represent and why?

Regards,
Curt Gandy
Executive Director
Fort Ord Toxics Project