1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:00:52 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Off-Base Sampling

Original Message-------------
To: lsiegel@cpeo.org
From: joelf@cape.com (Joel Feigenbaum)
Cc: ZAP59@aol.com, rhugus@cape.com, pschles@whrc.org

Lenny,

Cape Cod--but only after a long history of community struggle. Some very
incomplete examples:

(1) After the USGS discovered off-base contamination from the sewage
treatment plant -- later shown to be merged with fire-traiing area
contamination -- in 1978, the Air Guard began off-base plume
characterization. A remediation system is just now being constructed by the
Air Force.

(2) After the Town of Sandwich discovered benzene/EDB contamination near
the base border in 1990,the Air Guard began testing in an effoprt to show
that they weren't responsible. They were. A sucessful remediation system
has been in place for about two years.

(3) In 1990, a sharp struggle was waged to get the Air Guard to do off-base
testing at a major fuel dumping site. Guard testing was inadequate. In
1996, Air Force consultants called for ceasing all remedial investigation.
Activists demonstrated a scenario in which EDB may have migrated far from
the base border. Air Force began renewed testing. River and cranberry bogs
found to be contaminated. Construction of large scale remedial systems
underway.

(4) Until 1995, major contaminant plumes -- Land Fill-1, and Chemical
Spill-10 (CS-10) -- were characterized as being on-base. Because of
community pressure for more accurate sutdy, both were discovered to have
migrated off-base, CS-10 having TCE concentrations of > 4,000 ppb at the
base border and flowing under Ashumet Pond. Activists demander
investigation on the other side of the Pond, but only because of USGS
explorations of other issues was 1500 ppb found on the other side.

(5) After two years of study on-base,investigation by the Army Guard has
revealed sporadic hits of explosive related compounds in ground water in or
near residential neighborhoods.Sruggle undrway to continue testing.

In summary,the military is always reluctant to investigate contamination
beyond base borders. When it does, it never explores far enough away. Large
consulting companies, who do the actual analysis, always minimize the the
extent and degree of contamination. The results are: Actual remediation is
long delayed; Citizens, cranberry bogs and surface water bodies have much
longer and greater exposures than otherwise necessary; Plume extent
increases so that remediation, if and when it occurs, is more expensive.

Joel

>A question came up today at our meeting of community members from Army
>Ammunition Plants. It actually applies to all military installation.
>
>Where there are indications of possible contamination migration, does
>the installation in your area conduct off-site sampling,  of
>groundwater, surface water, and/or other media?
>--
>

>Lenny Siegel
>Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight
>c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
>Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545
>Fax: 650/968-1126
>lsiegel@cpeo.org
>http://www.cpeo.org