1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:24:34 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Ground-Water Treatment Wastes Valuable Resources

[The following was sent to us by Armando Quintanilla for posting.]

Ground-Water Treatment Wastes Valuable Resources
(Editorial in the San Antonio Express-News, 3/19/99)

     In the late 1980's, we learned that Kelly AFB had contaminated the
ground water under our homes, streets, schools, and churches on the South
Side.
     We also learned that this ground water is a potential
drinking-water source in case of a drought.
     In turn, the Texass National Resource Conservation Commission ordered
Kelly officials to clean up the contaminated water.
     Kelly is treating about 1 million gallons of ground water daily and
then releasing it into Leon Creek.  Every year, about 365 million gallons
of treated ground water flows into the Gulf of Mexico.
     This is a terrible waste of our tax dollars and of a valuable
resource -- water -- by Kelly.
     There is more to this story of waste by Kelly.  Base officials plan
to start treating another 500,000 gallons per day this year and release it
into Six Mile Creek.  This treated water will also end up in the Gulf of
Mexico.
     Again, more waste of tax dollars and water.
     This process is to continue for the next five to 20 years.  My
questions to the governor, Legislature, attorney general and TNRCC are
these:
     *Why isn't this treated ground water reinjected into the ground or
diverted to a recharge zone?
     *Why must this waste of tax dollars and water by Kelly continue for
decades?
                                   Armando C. Quintanilla
                                   Kelly AFB Restoration Advisory Board