1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 11:55:07 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Badger Update

Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 12:24:17 -0500
From: Laura Olah <olah@speagle.com>
To: lsiegel@cpeo.org

Advisory board won't compromise on Badger cleanup

 By Michele Hopp
 Sauk County News Service

 Published 07/16/98
 Sauk Prairie Eagle

Members of the Badger Environmental Board of Advisors (BEBA) sent the
Army a strong message at their quarterly meeting on July 9. Through a
resolution that passed with just one dissension, the group stated they
weren't willing to compromise cleanup at two contaminated sites at the
Badger Army Ammunition Plant -- the propellant burning grounds and the
deterrent burning grounds.

Soils at these two sites were contaminated during Badger's active
production periods when propellant and other wastes were burned and
disposed of. Groundwater at the propellant burning grounds has also been
contaminated.

In 1994, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of
Natural Resources approved a remedy that required complete excavation of
the contaminated soil to groundwater. The soil was then to be washed and
composted to remove contaminants, and then returned to the site.

Although this remedy would be very expensive to implement, estimated at
$170 million in 1994, the Army agreed to the terms of the EPA and DNR
agreement.

"The Army recommended this [remedy] originally because the funding was
available," explained EPA project manager Bob Egan.

However, when the Army conducted tests, they discovered that soil
washing did not remove contaminants as expected. And declining Army
funding for environmental cleanup was becoming a big concern.

Badger installation director Dave Fordham explained that in 1999 Badger
will receive slightly less than $8 million for environmental cleanup; $4
million for groundwater treatment and just less than $4 million for
cleanup projects.

"At the current rate of funding, if we did nothing else at Badger, it
would take ten years to fund (total excavation)," said Fordham. "And we
would have to shut off the groundwater treatment center."

Instead of complete excavation of contaminated soil, the Army at first
proposed simply capping the two sites to prevent further groundwater
contamination. The EPA and DNR, however, quickly opposed this plan.

"You don't say you're going to remove it all and then come back and say
you won't remove anything," Egan told the board.

So the Army proposed a compromise -- partial excavation of the most
contaminated soil and then capping to prevent any additional downward
movement of the remaining contaminants. This remedy would cost $18
million.

And if it didn't completely prevent future contamination, the Army said
it would still be responsible for cleanup costs.

"The Army will have the cleanup liability forever," stated Army
consultant Pat Darrah.

"Whether we own it or not, we have the responsibility forever,"
concurred Badger installation director Dave Fordham. "We can't get
around it."

But most BEBA members didn't like this new proposal, advocating instead
for the original complete excavation plan.

"The Army is responsible for every particle of contamination down to the
last grain of powder," said Roger Shanks. "I think you should clean the
whole thing or just cap it."

Bill Beach said he wanted to send the Army and Congress the message that
fewer dollars should not result in lower cleanup standards.

"I don't think we should back down," he said, adding that the BEBA
should ask for the $170 million original cleanup remedy.
"If we don't get the funding, we get less cleanup."

"I agree that if you ask for less, you get less," said Bart Olson.

Olson also voiced his concern that a limited cleanup could result in
future contamination problems. "If ten years from now there's a problem,
the Army will have to come back and spend more money," he said.

Laura Olah questioned the need for a change in cleanup. "Why are we
changing methods?" she asked. "I need to understand if this is as
protective of the environment. Will my great-grandchildren say, Why
didn't they clean it up then? I don't think it's realistic to have the
Army come back and clean it up again 20 years after their original
cleanup."

After the BEBA passed a resolution to require complete excavation of
contaminated soil at the two sites, Chairman Steve Roy summarized the
group's views.

"This resolution is the official statement of the board. The message is
one of frustration by the membership," he stated. "We are tired of how
long this is taking. We approved (the original remedy) back in 1994. The
reality is that we didn't create the pollution."

Laura Olah, Executive Director
Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger
E12629 Weigand's Bay South
Merrimac, Wisconsin 53561
olah@speagle.com
Phone (608)643-3124 Fax (608)643-0005
Website http://www.speagle.com/cswab

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org