1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:23:02 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Controls - another reply

Subject: More on Institutional Controls -Reply
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:58:54 -0600
From: Sam Goodhope <Sam.Goodhope@OAG.STATE.TX.US>

Too bad about no money...perhaps we can transfer some of the military
industrial complex money for golf club memberships for contractors (plus
15%) and the like into an account for cleaning up TCE at a base.

The issue is not "why spend $50000 in order to get a $5000 piece of
land?". That is a silly phrasing of the issue that logically results in
a path of devastation across military bases that would make General
Sherman's march through the South to the sea look like a Johnny
Appleseed frolic through the woods. You make the DoD clean up in order
to (1) fully protect our citizens and communities now and in the future
in accordance with heretofore accepted law applicable to all and (2)
because the duty to fully clean up acts as a powerful prophylactic
against the continuing desire of most base commanders and, quite
frankly, the Services to give short shrift to environmental issues.

I look forward to the rumble, I mean the discussion on this issue next
week in Chicago.

[NOTE FROM LS: SAM GOODHOPE IS A MEMBER OF THE DEFENSE ENVIRONMENTAL
RESPONSE TASK FORCE, WHICH MEETS NEXT WEEK IN THE CHICAGO AREA.]