1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 14:22:45 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Institutional Controls & the Constitution

The issue of institutional controls brings out a larger issue in
remediation decisions: that is, how can we account for the opportunity
cost of contaminated land held out of use. This applies not only to land
 that will be protected by institutional controls in perpetuity, but also
to remedies that take longer to achieve standards so that they can be
released for unrestricted use. For instance, if natural attenuation
takes twices as long to achieve remediation goals, how do we account for
the cost of the land that is held out of use?

The opportunity cost of land is to the best of my knowledge not addressed
in feasibility studies. How should we do this?

Peter Strauss