1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Jun 1998 17:59:27
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act

Hello,
 My name is Capt Williams, I was the environmental Coordinator at
Falcon Air Force base. We had to comply with EPCRA by sending copies of our
inventory of hazardous materials that were on the EPCRA list (I do not
remember what these materials were, you will have to look up the CFRs on
EPCRA to determine the EPCRA hazardous chemical list) to local emergency
planning orginzations (i.e. local cities and counties). This EPCRA
procedure is just for active bases and bases that were closed after EPCRA
went into effect. For bases that were selected for closure before EPCRA
went into effect (i.e. bases selected for closure in 1991 and earlier) the
base realignment and closure (BRAC) environmental personnel had
environmental baseline surveys (EBS)s conducted which identified, located,
and quantified all hazardous materials that have or is currently being
stored on the closed base in question. A copy of this EBS can be obtained
from BRAC environmental personnel. This EBS is just as good, if not better,
than the EPCRA listing for active bases and ones selected for closure after
1991. If you have any more questions call me at (303) 575-9441.

 - Tom