1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: cathyd@salinas.net
Date: 12 Feb 1998 15:15:40
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: "REFORM" AND DEVOLVEMENT

cathy duncan wrote:

> hdqrs@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> > >An information center where environmental regulators and interested
> > >local communities can obtain the many details needed to assess
> > >responsible environmental stewardship-the implementation of such a site
> > >is long overdue.
> >
> > Cathy where would you like to see such a center located.
> > Also I feel that once a military and or a DOD base is closed and the
> > military pulls out then we have bigger problems.
> > Thanks.
> > old jim
>
> Jim,
>
> I tend to think that a site such as this should initially be located
close to or in an active DOD building, however, as the base closure
progresses and DOD takes further steps out of the picture the information
center should be initially designed to transition to a permanent community
> location.
>
> This transition should be fueled by media coverage and advanced
efforts to emphasize the need for such a site especially after DOD is
gone. The focus to keep such a site viable could be to interact with
the local planning department and other agencies so that new land uses
and future investigations can be researched. Also the history of the
cleanup process, progress, and reports that monitor natural attenuation
and other ongoing cleanup processes that continue after DOD is
> gone will be available at this site. This site should also contain a
meeting room.

> On most closing bases there are usually an excess of empty buildings
several of which have been directly passed on for educational
purposes(i.e. colleges and schools) at no cost. This center as
an educational center for the community and local and federal
agencies should qualify for this kind of educational land grant.
School interns could work at the site and help manitain it.