1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: WJASmith <WJASmith@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 17:18:52 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Correction (NRC)

There was an error in my response to the Mather Early Transfer
Note regarding concerns about early transfer of property based
on the assumption that pump and treat was an effective treatment
technology for chlorinated hydrocarbons.

I mistakenly referred to the "National Resources Council" as
finding that pump and treat is generally ineffective at removing
sources of chlorinated hydrocarbons from the subsurface. The
group I actually meant to refer to was the National Research
Council, a very prominent U.S. government advisory body. They
provided an excellent review of the possibilities and
limitations of pump and treat in a book titled "Alternatives for
Ground Water Cleanup," copyrighted in 1994 and published by the
National Academy Press. My apologies for any confusion my
inaccurate reference may have caused.