1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: WJASmith <wjasmith@aol.com>
Date: 12 Jan 1998 14:29:18
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Military Landfills

I do not have a time critical issue on landfills but would
appreciate the opportunity to discuss with you or a member of
your staff the concerns I have regarding caps as presumptive
remedies for landfills in tidal influence zones.

The DOD and the environmental community in the San Francisco Bay
area, and possibly the US and CA EPAs, are unlikely to resolve
this issue on their own. We have a narrow window of opportunity
to reduce the motivation for local communities to take court
action before feasibility studies for prominent landfills at the
former Naval Air Station Alameda and the Oakland Army Base are
finished and the RODs are issued in the next five years.

William J. Smith, Ph.D., P.E.
Alameda County Planning Commissioner
2822 Bayview Drive
Alameda, CA 94501-6348
Voice and Fax: (510)522-0390
Work: (510)490-3008 Work Fax: (510)651-3731