1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Ted Schettler <tschettler@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:32:51 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: The Atsugi Lawsuit Article

There are also examples from the civilian side. Logan
airport in Boston has night flight restrictions and flight
pattern restrictions. Massport, the corporation
responsible for operating Logan, has been required to
provide noise-proofing for nearby houses. This includes
insulation and special windows. There have also been
financial settlements.

There is a moderately extensive medical literature on the
health effects of living near airport noise. It's been
awhile since I've looked at it. But, as I recall,
hypertension and depression are related. Sleep disorders
are also an obvious problem, causing other adverse
effects, in turn. If anyone is interested I could probably
dig some of this material out - or provide references.

Ted Schettler