1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: HUFF@hq.dswa.mil
Date: 16 Dec 1997 10:54:44
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Airspace

As a private pilot, and one who has based his
aircraft an Air Force Base, an Army airfield, as
well as civilian airports, I can tell you that
just as I was subject to the rules of the military
and the FAA on a base, the military is also
subject to the FAA Regulations and their own
regulations too. As mentioned in earlier
correspondence on this subject, there are
designated areas of airspace where the military
may train. - These areas are well defined - by
area, altitude and hours of operation (which in
some cases may be 24 hours). In the case of
military and civilian flights transitioning FAA
designated airspace (like that which exists around
all major airports, including military airports),
these flights are controlled - by speed, altitude
and may even be have their entry into these spaces
delayed or even possibly denied.

I am not aware of leasing of any airspace. Owning
of airspace is an aeronautical term indicating who
is directly responsible for the control of that
particular airspace.

Military may not (without appropriate
authorization indicating who, what, when, where
how and for how long) fly at any speed, altitude,
time....

Steve Huff