1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Bergeisen.Gershon@epamail.epa.gov
Date: 18 Nov 1997 17:03:48
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: PCB Levels

While the PCB Cancer Reassessment, which was published in IRIS in October
of 1996, discussed PCB dioxin-like congeners, I am not aware of a specific
Superfund site where a decision was made to select lower cleanup levels,
based on these congeners. A person to talk to about analytical
methodologies for PCBs, including congener specific analysis, is Andy
Beliveau in Region 1, in Boston. His phone number is 617-860-4607.

And, with respect to remedies, incineration or landfill disposal is the
most common remedy selected for dioxin. For PCBs, the options used are a
bit broader, and include, in addition to incineration and landfilling,
other remedies, including thermal desorption and
solidification/stabilization. I don't have information on the status of
developing remedies for PCBs, but two offices may help, the Technology
Innovation Office, here, in Washington, the number for TIO being
703-603-9910 and the Office of Research and Development. A person who
may direct you in ORD is Patricia Erickson in Cinncinati at 513-569-7884.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Gershon Bergeisen, MD, MPH