1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Sam Goodhope" <Sam.Goodhope@OAG.STATE.TX.US>
Date: 17 Oct 1997 14:31:11
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Vive La Difference

I guess what you are saying is that there are many rooms in the federal
facility cleanup mansion....I agree....
We all need to keep our collective eye on the ball: DoD's facilities are
contaminated...the United States has previously committed DoD to
cleaning up its 20 to 40 billion dollar mess to the same extent as any other
polluter...the United States and DoD (as a whole) are suffering a mild
failure of spirit to honor their commitments...the RABS, locally and, now,
hopefully nationally, can help "rekindle" that spirit to clean up the DoD
mess--because it sure ain't gonna come from the LRAs and other
boosters with fly-by-night schemes to save the economic well-being of
our communities. I am not even sure anymore whether state regulators,
some of whom may have been coopted by the DSMOA process, the
"promise" of risk reduction-based cleanups, and the Sugar Plum Fairy,
can or desire to "rekindle" the federal government's cleanup spirit. It is
key that RABs become more influential during the cleanup process. After
all, to paraphrase somebody who said something, "All cleanups are
local." If a national board or advisory group can help RABs become more
influential, then let's do it and put internecine concerns back into the little
pungent bottle from which they arise and shove it to the back of the
bottom shelf of the broom closet....danke shoen and I hope I passed the
audition.....