1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Laura Olah" <olah@speagle.com>
Date: 27 Jun 1997 19:07:50
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: SENATE CLEANUP NUMBERS

I couldn't agree more with Sam's suggested strategies in response to
scarce cleanup dollars. The Badger plant here in Wisconsin has been out
of compliance with more than a half dozen conditions of its RCRA cleanup
approval for over a year now. The cleanup approval was originally
issued in 1995, following a $6 million RI/FS. The State won't get off
the dime; their paper-thin response, of late, to our demands for
compliance continues to be that taking an enforcement action may take
the facility's attention away from cleanup and toward defending an
enforcement action -- a contention that is, at best, silly as the
military has been studying the contamination here since 1977 and has yet
to put shovel to soil -- there is no cleanup to delay because there
simply is no cleanup to begin with!

We have asked for a Preliminary Notice of Violation which is of little
more consequence than a verbal warning from a traffic cop, but the State
continues to balk -- an ironic circumstance which is placing our
environment at increasing risk, this according to their own personnel --
according to an April 18, 1997 letter from the Wisconsin Department of
Natural Resources, potential risks to the environment of postponing
cleanup as Badger (the Army) has requested include: "continued expansion
(both vertically and horizontally) of known contaminant plume(s),
potential for the discovery of additional groundwater contamination from
new, as of yet unidentified contaminant plumes, continued uptake of
contaminants (in soils) by sensitive receptors...and exacerbating the
clean-up of existing or newly discovered contaminant plumes." Not good
news for our communities, our natural resources, or our children.

Laura Olah
P.S. My mom -- an unusually articulate woman -- long ago tagged me with
a title so (if you are Sam the Curmudgeon) then I am Laura the
Belligerent, which I prefer to assume refers to my tenacity and not
other less becoming attributes (smile). By the way, only my mom gets to
use that one...