1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 17:29:06 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: GOODMAN TESTIMONY ON HR 1778

The following is Sherri Goodman's testimony last Wednesday before the
House National Security Committee.

Aimee Houghton
______________________

June 17, 1997

GOODMAN: Thank you, Mr. Chairman and members fo the committee. Thank
you for giving me the opportunity to appear before you today. At
defense we are strong advocates of responsible environmental reform,
and we have worked closely with this committee over a number of years
to achieve important enviornmental reforms. Indeed, we've worked with
other committees, but particularly this committee.

For example, in fiscal year 1996, we worked closely with the House and
the Senate defense committees to pass important environmental
legislation affecting our closing bases that speeds up clean-up and
allows the department to enter into long-term lease agreements,
facilitating base reuse. Last year, with bipartisan support in the
House and the Sentate and with strong backing from the administration
and the Department of Defense, Congress authorized the devolvement of
the Defense Environmental Restoration Account to the military
departments for improved management, and also provided authority to
allow the transfer of contaminated property before completion of the
clean-up remedy, which as you know can sometimes take some time to achieve.

The Department of Defense, working closely with Congress, has also
obtained from Congress a clarification of the meaning of uncontaminated
property to speed land transfer. And you've provided authority to
withhold listing on the national priority list of DOD sites that are
already in a successful clean-up program under other laws. The point
of these examples is to show the significant progress made on
environmental reform with this committee working together with the
Department of Defense. We've been working hard simce I came to the
department to make environmental programs, our clean-up and compliance
programs, better, faster, and cheaper. And indeed, Mr. Chairman, while
you noted in you opening statement that clean-up proceeds sometimes
slowly and inefficiently, I would note to you that we now invest over
70 percent of our clean-up dollars in acutal clean-up. We are beyond
the study phase, and we are moving fairly expeditiously today. In
fact, we like to think of our model for our defense environmental
programs as being lean, mean, and green.

Now, it's important to recognize that the reason important
environmental reforms such as the ones that this committee included on
the defense authorization bill last year were able to be included
because we had a bipartisan appraoch which involved all interested
stakeholders, recognizing that in the environmental area there are
always many outside of the government who are interested and active
participants in environmental reforms, including affected agencies and
other committees.

As you recognized, there are other committees that claim jurisdication
of our nation's key environmental laws.

Now, on HR 1778, we've not had the time to have that process to involve
all the stakeholders and other committees yet. And while there's much
common ground in our views on environmental reform, we must nonconcur
on most of the provisions in Title III.

We hope the Superfund reform provisions in Title III--particularly
Sections 301 to 312--signal the start of a fully formed process, which
will incorporate the views of community stakeholders, other relevent
congressional committees, while recognizing the importance of the
administration's principles of Superfund reform in this overall action.

And we, indeed, support Superfund reform through a fully inclusive process.

Title III also contains a provision that would address the Clean Air
Act standards for military sources. And as many of you know, EPA has
proposed to make changes to the national ambient air quailty standards
for ozone and particulate matter.

We, indeed, are--have concerns with how these proposed standards would
affect the Department of Defense military operations. Section 314
would not provide the majority of protections that the Department of
Defense needs in this regard or has obtained in the past from EPA.

But we have been working very closely with all the federal
agencies--particularly EPA--on these proposed rules. And I am pleased
to be able to note today, Mr. Chairman, that the administrator of EPA
has just written to the secretary of defense, in a letter I would like
to introduce here today, providing assurances to the Department of
Defense on the major issues we do have on the Clean Air Act proposals
for ozone and partculate matter.

As you know, Mr. Chairman, the storage and transportation of military
munitions is of great interest to the Department of defense. Section
315 seems intended to create a congressional stamp of approval to the
munitions rule promulgated by the Environmental Protection Agency
earlier this year.

That rule was developed by EPA in consultation witht the Department of
Defense, and DOD believes it is a good rule, and that it is a rule
fully supported by both facts and existing law.

Not all parties to the rulemaking share this view, and the rule is in
litigation right now. As such, I cannot discuss this in detial today.
However, the Department of Defense woudl be happy to work with you and
your staff and other agencies on this particular provision.

Mr. Chairman, I want to thank you for the opportunity to speak with the
National Security Committee today. We want to pursue meaningful reform
with this committee, and to continue the historical progress we have made.

I value our close working relationship. I believe it must continue.
And I commend the house National Security Committee for entering this
debate, and I believe it should be made a more integral part of the
overall Superfund reform process.

And I have received a commitment from EPA and the Council on
Environmental Quality that they will more fully incorporate the
committee's staff, the House National Security Committee's staff, into
its--into the deliberations here on Superfund reform.

And I believe that will be an important part of being able to achieve
meaningful reform.

Mr. Chairman, I thank you for the opportunity to appear before you today.