1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 05:47:20 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: The Myth of The CERCLA Covenant

 I am interested in solicting comments on an article I published in the
Spring edition of The Federal Facilities Environmental Journal titled: The
Myth of The CERCLA Covenant.

 This article explores the practical limitations of the DOD's CERCLA
120(h) remediation obligations and the Section 330 indemnity obligations
through an analysis of actual lease restrictions used on BRAC properties.
The article may be found on my web page at <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BR
AClaw/Brac_page.html">ReuseOfContaminatedBRAC Lands</A>
 ("http://members.aol.com/BRAClaw/Brac_page.html")

 My conclusion is that, unless the LRA and the community are cautious,
the provisions neccessary to enforce institutional controlls will destroy the
CERCLA covenant & 330 indemnity, and that these provisions will effect the
LRA's ability to market, finance, insure and transfer these properties to
the private sector .