1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 11:14:00 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: CAMP GRAYLING RANGE

CAMP GRAYLING RANGE TESTING

The EPA decision to order a halt to live firing at Camp Edwards
(Massachusetts Military Reservations) is having reverberations across
the country. At Camp Grayling, Michigan, one of the few sites where any
toxic testing of impact ranges has taken place, the AuSable Manistee
Action Council sent the following letter on May 20, 1997 to EPA Region
5 Administrator Valdas Adamkus, seeking more targeted sampling.

Lenny Siegel

Dear Mr. Adamkus:

For nearly ten years, we have been involved in an attempt to install
environmental accountability and an environmentally sustainable
training scenario at Camp Grayling, MI. We have made some headway but
much more is needed in the State mandated Pollution Testing program
underway at the Camp's firing ranges. Based on what has just happened
in Cape Cod and the EPA Region 1 Administrator's standing order, we are
now approaching you with a request for assistance.

Our request is for the US EPA to intercede at Camp Grayling to provide
needed oversight and investigation into the adequacy or inadequacy of
the range testing protocols. We have been very unhappy with the program
so far but cannot seem to influence the National Guard and their
contractors to conduct a relevant program. The Michigan DEQ who took
this matter over from the MI DNR in a recent shakeup also has not been
willing to accept our input. Essentially, we want to see the testing
take place within the range Impact Areas at the location of the craters
caused by the thousands of High Explosive artillery/mortar rounds and
aerial bombs impacting each year.

Instead of testing at the craters, the Guard has persisted in skirting
the real issues by testing "outside the fence" and making a big show of
not finding problems. They shoot the same weapons in Mich. as they
shoot in Mass. but in Mich. no RDX, TNT, DNT, or HMX is found in
alarming concentrations, according to the Guard. This is of great
concern, especially since Camp Grayling abuts both the AuSable River
and the Manistee River, two renowned trout streams where the trout
population is only a shadow of what it was 15+ years ago.

Rather than go on and on, we are enclosing some historical data to help
you and your staff get a feel for the problem and some of the "spin
doctoring" that became obvious early on. Please help on this. We will
work closely with you.

Lastly, you will note from the copy of our standing 1993 resolution, we
are not out to close Camp Grayling but, to modify its mission to one
the natural and human environment is able to withstand.

Sincerely,

AMAC The AuSable Manistee Action Council
Dan Alstott, Pres/CEO