1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 21:52:21 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Response on REMEDY SELECTION

I received the following in response to my earlier posting.
Lenny

Dear Lenny:

 The ORR/DOE process has been evolving in the direction you have
recommended for a period of 15 years but with a somewhat different
nomenclature, in fact no formal nomenclature for the process. The early
involvement of the public is seen as a "pre-CERCLA" effort which allows
DOE to proceed with some feeling of the public's desires and permits the
publc to become awrae of the background and complexities of the
problems.

The results are a much increased public participation and better public
relations. There is a distinct air of one team, public, DOE and
contractors, trying to solve the same problem. I have seen poorer
rapport between in-house groups.

Also the concept of long term management of the waste sites is clearly
emerging as the only feasable method of addressing the problems within
the community values, the budget allotted, the technologies available,
etc. The concept seems to have public acceptance but more time is needed
to be sure. I believe that both DOE and the public see the process as
valuable.

I would urge you to continue your effort.

 Best regards,

Al Brooks