1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:26:56 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: FFERDC Implementation in Indian CountryFFERDC Implementation in Indian Country

Implementing the Recommendations of the Federal Facilities
Environmental Restoration Dialogue Committee in Indian Country:
Lessons Learned

Mervyn Tano
Tano & Associates
444 South Emerson Street
Denver, CO 80209-2216

San Antonio, Texas
March 5, 1997

"The Indian System mirrored the basic drives of American society--
social mobility, the acquisition of wealth, unrestricted capitalism, and
political activism. It was a pathway to power and wealth for the
ambitions, closely allied to the struggles for power and influence in
newly formed territories and states. It was also more important to the
government in Washington than historians have generally realized
because those regions were on the cutting edge of economic
development and population migration. It served some groups
extremely well--politicians, claimants, traders, contractors, and
agents. Indian removal and its attendant activities had always been
initiated to serve the needs of European Americans, not the needs of
Native Americans. 'It produced a system of, by, and for white
men.'"
Nichols, David A., "Lincoln and the Indians: Civil War Policy and
Politics," University of Missouri Press, Columbia, 1978, pp 23-24.
(emphasis added)

"There is a very good reason why the appropr_iations for the Indian
service should increase. We have been opening and settling a large
tract of country, rich in mineral wealth. In the territory occupied by
the Indians the American people are now digging out millions and
hundreds of millions in gold every year. The enterprise of the
American people drives them into such places. They go into the
fastness of the mountains and find gold there, and they enrich the
nation by it."
U.S. Congress, Senate, Congressional Globe, "Debate on the Indian
Appropriation Bill," 37th Congress, 3d sess., 25 February 1863, pt
2:1281

Introduction

For over ten years now I have been working with Indian tribes and
Alaska Natives to advise them on how best to identify and protect
tribal interests affected by the federal facility environmental
restoration activities carried out by different federal agencies. I have
worked with the tribes of the pacific Northwest and the Southwest on
the cleanup of the nuclear weapons complex and with tribes
throughout the United States on Department of Defense
environmental restoration projects. I have worked with the DOD to
help design their tribal environmental restoration programs and with
the Department of energyUs Environmental management Office to
facilitate tribal participation in environmental technology development
and clean-up programs. And for what seemed like an eternity, I
labored on the Federal Facilities Environmental Restoration Dialogue
Committee with Sam Goodhope, Ross Vincent, and Aimee
Houghton and other participants of this conference.

The recommendations of the Federal Facilities Environmental
Restoration Dialogue Committee were intended to lay a foundation
for cooperative relationships' and partnerships between stakeholders
and federal facilities managers to ensure cleanup decisions protect
human health and the environment and reflect the values of the
affected communities. My concern as a member of the FFERDC was
to ensure that the report encouraged federal facilities managers to
recognize that their cleanup activities presented employment
opportunities for tribal members and for other business and
institutional participation in all phases of the federal facility cleanup
program. My concern was triggered by the history of the U.S.
programs in Indian country--a history that palpably demonstrates the
accuracy of David NicholsU characterization of the Indian System of
the 1860's--and to prevent us from repeating that history in the
1990's. Please don't misunderstand me. By no stretch of the
imagination am I suggesting that we will again smell the stench of the
corruption and fraud that permeated the Indian System in 1860.
What I am suggesting, though, is that I see today in the Department
of Defense federal facilities environmental restoration programs the
same sense of cultural and racial insensitivity, the same cronyism, the
same ignorance of Indian tribes and their institutions, the same view
of the Indian, not as a coequal, by as an inferior and an opportunity
for exploitation and profit that characterized the Indian Service in the
1860's. Tribes don't get barrels of rotten beef or shoddy blankets
today--they get administrative convenience which generally means
the Department of Defense will arrange for non-Indian, non-tribal
contractors to provide services to Indian tribes that could otherwise
be provided by the tribes themselves or by tribal organizations or
tribal institution. Tribes today are not under attack by miners and
farmers--instead they get the perpetuation of paternalism and
dependency the long-term effect of which can be just as pernicious.

First Steps

So how do we avoid repeating the errors of the past? It seems to me
that the only way that federal facilities managers can begin to
implement the recommendations of the FFERDC in Indian country is
for them to gain an understanding of the exactly what an Indian tribes
is. Briefly stated, Indian tribes in the United States are semi-
dependent sovereign entities with much of their inherent powers and
authorities over their lands and people intact. Tribes are landowners
and can accordingly control and condition access to their lands.
Besides their inherent powers and authorities tribes have been
delegated powers by the United States to regulate air, water and other
environmental resources. Tribes are also possessed of treaty rights
and are the beneficiaries of the federal-Indian trust relationship.

Protecting and Enhancing Tribal Sovereign Rights and Authorities

Understanding then that tribes are not only social, economic and
cultural entities but governmental entities as well, the foundation
principle of any federal agency partnership with Indian tribes is that
every activity undertaken as part of the partnership should either
protect or enhance tribal sovereign rights and authorities and never
undermine such prerogatives. While this principle should be an
obvious part of the approach of anyone working in Indian country,
the fact is that it often eludes federal agency and contractor personnel.
For example, it often never occurs to federal staff to look to other
federal or state statutes and regulations for permitting and other
environmental protection requirements for cleanups in Indian
country. And in the off chance they do look to tribal law and
regulation, they will fall back to state and federal regulations if tribal
regulations are not exactly on point. This is, of course, the
administratively convenient way out. And for at least the short term,
it is also more efficient and economical. However, I would argue
that this sort of administrative convenience is destructive of tribal
sovereign rights and authorities and violative of the federal-Indian
trust obligations. A much better tack is to work with the tribe to
promulgate tribal regulations or, if the federal or state regulations are
acceptable to the tribe, to help the tribe adopt the requisite federal or
state regulations by resolution.

Is what I suggest administratively inconvenient? You bet. Does it
add costs to the project? Undoubtedly. But I maintain that this is the
price you pay for being an agent of the federal trustee. These are the
costs of maintaining a government to government relationship with
Indian tribes.

Take and Expansive View of "Tribal" Involvement

I suggest that the second means by which the Department of Defense
can implement the recommendations of the FFERDC in Indian
country is to take an expansive view of exactly what constitutes tribal
involvement.

At one time or another I have been asked by federal agency personnel
one or more of the following questions:

* Which tribes or tribal institutions should be involved in DOD
 environmental restoration activities?
* When should such tribes or institutions be involved?
* What should be the scope of such involvement?

My responses are: as many as possible; as soon as possible; and, as
much as possible. Believe me, I am not being flippant. Too often
federal facility managers take too narrow a view of tribal
involvement. In many instances tribal involvement is defined in
geographic terms. You would of course involve the Oglala Sioux in
the environmental restoration of the Bad Lands Bombing Range
because the facility lies within the borders of the Pine Ridge Indian
reservations. But given the scope of the work involved there, there
is no reason not to involve other tribal organizations or institutions
that can provide the support services that non-Indian organizations
will be providing. Taking an expansive view of tribal involvement
acknowledges the reality of the inter-relationships between and
among different facilities and the enormous national and international
networks of researchers, contractors, educators, manufacturers and
service providers that have developed to address the myriad issues
related to the cleanup of federal facilities. Contractors and
universities are not limited in their federal facility environmental
restoration work to the state in which they're headquartered. Why
should the tribal construction company, college, or environmental
remediations trainer be?

Tribal involvement in environmental restoration programs should be
like voting in Chicago--early and often. Let's take tribal involvement
in environmental remediation technology development as our
example. A bad example is involving the Confederated Tribes of the
Umatilla Indian Reservations in Cleanup of the Umatilla Depot after
the decision to use incineration technology has already been made. A
good example is working with the Oglala Sioux Tribe to test new
UXO technology on the Bad Lands Bombing Range. A better
example is the Office of Science and Technology in the Department
of Energy working with a tribal group to come up with tribal
technology acceptance criteria to guide environmental remediation
technology development.

Addressing Tribal Information Requirements

The third means of implementing the FFERDC recommendations in
Indian country is to appropriately address tribal information needs.
One of the tribal advisory groups I have been working on some
Department of Energy projects stated that a common impediment to
tribal involvement in decision-making is that federal agencies often
do not understand how to present their information about their
environmental remediation technology and services in a way that is
compatible with tribal needs, interests and perspectives. Federal
agencies are a source of massive amounts of newsletters, technical
reports and other information. However, you should realize that
information without context is not communication nor is it education.
 Providing that context requires you to know what tribal needs,
interests and perspectives are. Again it is administratively
inconvenient and time-consuming for you to educate yourselves on
tribal interests, concerns and priorities to design and execute
appropriate tribal communications strategies. But if you don't
provide that context, the information you send out is just so much
paper.

Follow the Leaders

Fortunately, there is some genuine leadership in this arena being
exercised by other federal agencies, particularly the Office of
Environmental Management in the U.S. Department of Energy. EM
has negotiated separate agreements directly with a dozen tribes and
tribal organizations to build the systems and programs required to
support knowing and informed tribal participation in a wide-range of
activities related to support cleanup of the nuclear weapons complex.
The Department of Energy promulgated an Indian policy which
recognized the government-to government relationship between DOE
and Indian tribes. Accordingly, EM does not use contractors or other
intermediaries to provide services to the tribes--it "contracts" directly
with tribes and tribal organizations. For example, it is the Nez Perce
that has authored the Briefing Book for Tribal Decision-Makers on
Weapons-Usable Plutonium Management and Disposition. It is the
Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation that has
developed tribal risk assessment models. It was the Council of
Energy Resource Tribes that put together a Tribal handbook of
Defense Activities and for two years conducted a series of regional
workshops on these issues. It was again the Nez Perce Tribes that
published the guide to the wildlife on the Hanford Reservations and
that developed an technology acceptance matrix for tribal decision-
makers. Other tribes and other tribal organizations have produce
similar work. All of this work was done by tribes and tribal
organizations with DOE support because the Department of Energy
takes seriously the recommendations o the FFERDC and its treaty
and trust obligations. I had hoped I could say the same thing about
the leadership at the Department of Defense, but I can't. There are
some very good people in the Department of Defense, but there are
others who appear to make the decisions that either don't
acknowledge their duty to carry out DOD's treaty and trust
obligations or the recommendations of the FFERDC or are willing to
use administrative convenience as the cover for perpetuating tribal
dependency. So instead of establishing direct relations with the
Oglala Sioux Tribe, the Walker River Paiute Tribe, the Confederated
Tribes of the Umatilla Reservations, the Council of Energy Resource
Tribes and National Tribal Environmental Council to carry out a wide
range of environmental restoration activities and programs, the
Department of Defense will be contracting with Booz-Allen and
Hamilton, TSI, EG&G and other large, non-Indian firms to service
Indians. So instead of building tribal capacity and expertise in
technical arenas, the tribes will be enhancing DOD contractor capacity
to work with tribes and other indigenous peoples making them even
more qualified to maintain the status quo. Perhaps Indian country
will be cleaned up, but unless the folks in Environmental Security
change their ways, as in the Senate report above, non-Indians will be
cleaning up a lot more.