1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Don Zweifel <zweifel@chapman.edu>
Date: 03 Jan 1997 11:33:10
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: EIR for proposed airport at MCAS El Toro

On Dec. the 15th one of the most contentious issues in the state
of California was hopefully
resolved when the Orange County Board of
Supervisors voted to conditionally approve an environmental impact report
(EIR) on the feasability of constructing what may become one of the
nation's largest international airports at El Toro, Ca. by 2005.

The next step will be for the Department of the Navy (SWDIVNAVENGCMD) to
research and develop an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to be
completed by March `98.

A historical thumb-nail sketch of the Marine Air Station:

The Marine Corps Air Station has been the home of the third Marine Air
Wing (MAW) for almost fifty years. It was originally commissioned in 1943.
Many airmen at the air faciloity were sent to Korea in 1950 and later
elements of the wing were detached to the 2nd MAW to serve with
distinction being meritoriously decorated, oftentimes for action
above and beyond the call of duty in the Korean and Vietnam War.

It was unusual not to find at least several Navy Cross recipients per
squadron in those days (the Navy Cross is the second highest award our
nation can bestow on an individual, the highest being The Medal of Honor).

We'll miss these Marines partly because they put us under their wing and
protected one of the most industrially sensitive areas in the US. And also
for the annual economic impact of over $2 billion worth of incomes and
ancillary business generated.

This wing is in the process of transitioning to Mira Mar Naval Air
Station which is just a stone's throw from San Diego, Ca. The commanding
general will lower the flag for the last time at El Toro, probably in
August of 1999. The costly move will come very close to $1 billion.

The rotary wing aircraft (helos) are being dispersed to Kanehoe Bay, Hawaii
and Camp Pendleton's Marine Air Station with several squadrons ending up
at Mira Mar. Many of the local residents are up in arms about the
helicopter transfer to Mira Mar NAS. They believe that the noise pollution
from these aircraft will be unbearable. US Senator's Barbara Boxer and
Diane Feinstein fought hard to have these relocated to March Air Force
Base, AKA the March Joint Use Air Facility near Riverside, Ca.

Unfortunately, all their efforts were for naught. However, most of these
residents are not objecting to the squadrons of F/A-18 Hornets
(fighter-attack) that are coming since they have had the Navy's F-14
Tomcats there. The movie "Top-Gun" was filmed mostly at Mira Mar.

Here in Orange County we have recently voted to approve via two
separate election measures an international airport at the El Toro MCAS
site, which will cost approximately $1.6 billion to develop by the way.

On the other hand we have tens of thousands of south Orange
Countians that plan to practically fight to the death to prevent it. There
have even been serious inquiries from six of these south county cities
(Irvine, Lake Forest, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Laguna Beach and Dana
Point about seceding from the county proper... They even had the
audacity to refer to the secession of the states during the Civil
War... These people vow to lock us in litigation regarding this matter
for years to come. Haven't had an issue that's been this divisive since we
decided to expand John Wayne Airport back in the early 80's.

What are the issues?

Noise.

Noise by the boatloads for one. These people honestly believe that
having a 747 flying over their homes amounts to environmental pollution on
a grand scale. The OC Board of Sups has concurred and has stated that it
will ban all excessively noisey aircraft from El Toro International.

24 hour per day flights.

Approximately 70% of the projected departures from El Toro International
will overfly the residents in south Orange County. These people don't
believe that they will be able to have a good night's sleep if there isn't
at least some type of curfew in effect (e.g., midnight to 6AM). However
recently enacted or interpreted federal law has stipulated that local
airport authorities do not have any legal clout to institute restricted
flying hours. The only tower-controlled airport in the US that has a
legally-binding curfew is John Wayne with 7.6 million airline
passengers (MAP) per year (11PM-7AM) and that is due to expire around
2003. We've been informed that it cannot be renewed under existing
federal statutory law.

Traffic

This airport is projected to generate up to 25 million airline passengers
(MAP) per year by 2020. The impact of this extra automobile traffic on our
highways and byways will be monumental.

San Francisco International (38 MAP) and Oakland airport are terribly
fortunate to have the Bay Area Rapid Transit system (BART). We need
something similar to this outstanding conveyance solution to handle the
adverse impact of so much additional traffic. Our current population
within the county has just surpassed two million. The population density
is rapidly increasing. If we don't incorporate adequate mitigating
measures into our county's master plan there will be grid-lock on all our
major arterial freeways well before 2020.

In summation may we state that Orange County will no doudt ultimately
benefit from having a world-class airport. Other Pacific-Rim countries
have and are currently building huge multi-billion dollar air facilities.
The new Hong Kong airport immediately comes to mind. A sacrifice should be
promulgated regarding the environment as long as it doesn't provide a
significant adverse impact beyond the realm of reason. The continued
increase in our standard of living can non-detrementally subsist
side-by-side with all ecological factors if we plan and implement sensibly
and intelligently.

Don Zweifel