1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 21:41:53 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: MOFFETT VOTE RESULTS

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>

MOFFETT VOTE RESULTS
A couple of month ago I recounted the local effort to block commercial
air cargo operations at Moffett Federal Airfield, a NASA facility
located on the site of the former Moffett Naval Air Station, here in
Mountain View and Sunnyvale, California.
On November 5, Mountain View voters voted 67.5% against commercial or
other civilian operations at Moffett Field. The vote is not binding,
but we believe that it will make it politically impossible for NASA to
resurrect the air cargo proposal.
In the course of the campaign, nearly all of the Mountain View City
Council candidates - four of the seven seats were on the ballot - at
least gave lip service to the campaign against air cargo. The Alliance
for a New Moffett Field listed 6 candidates who not only opposed air
cargo, but shared the organization's commitment to a wide-ranging
exploration of potential future uses at Moffett. Three of those
candidates won.