1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: olah@speagle.com
Date: 03 Sep 1996 14:55:10
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: IS LACK OF $$ PREVENTING CLEANUP

From: Laura Olah <olah@speagle.com>

For distribution:

We are searching for documentation of other DoD sites where a change in
the cleanup method and/or the extent of cleanup has been modified AFTER a
Record of Decision (or equivalent) has been finalized. In the case of
Badger Army Ammunition Plant, the Army intends to abandon a proposed $60
million cleanup at one area, and at the same time severely reducing the
extent of cleanup at a priority site which is also the source of a plume
of poisons flowing via groundwater several miles offsite. Moreover,
this new proposal has no supporting study or fieldwork and is being
exclusively driven by lack of funds. Would like to network to
convince the Congressional Armed Forces Subcommittee to investigate
further. We believe lack of funds is preventing cleanup, not just
slowing it down as the military claims. Please respond to my mailbox:
olah@speagle.com (Laura Olah) Again, we need documentation in order to
move on this one -- Thanks.