1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Nick Morgan <nmorgan@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 12:11:06 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: LAND TRANSFER PREMATURE

From: "Nick Morgan" <nmorgan@igc.org>

An effort by Sen. Bennett Johnston (D-LA) to force the transfer of
45,000 acres in the Kisatchie NF to Fort Polk "shortchanged" the
people of Louisiana, says the Baton Rouge LA Sunday Advocate. The
paper argues that the transfer was "railroaded" without giving the
public an adequate opportunity to be heard. "We recognize the
economic impact of Fort Polk," the Advocate writes. "But we also
recognize the value of having public lands like the Kisatchie tract
managed by the Forest Service for the benefit of the public now and
into the future."