1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: coho@igc.org
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 10:03:27 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Army Wants to Train on Nat'l Forest

From: Bill Skubi <coho@whidbey.net>

I think we need a national catalog of the use of National Parks, Forests and
Wilderness area for military training purposes. In Washington State the Navy
is planning to build and Electronic Warfare Combat Training Facility (EWCTF)
at Coupeville on Whidbey Island. The purpose of this facility would be to
direct aerial electronic warfare simulation for Navy and Airforce Aircrews
over the Darrington Training Area. The Darrington Training area, however,
overlays the entirety of the North Cascades National Park and National
Wilderness areas. A second Military Operations Area (MOA) used for training
out of Naval Air Station Whidbey Island overlays the Pacific Beaches of
Olympic National Park. Is anyone on the Conference aware of other National
Parks and National Wilderness areas actively designated for Military
Training Purpose?
Bill Skubi/ Whidbey Islanders for a Sound Environment

Bill Skubi
Communications Coordinator
Whidbey Islanders for a Sound Environment
P.O. Box 773/ Coupeville WA 98239
Tel. (360) 678-6377
e-mail: coho@whidbey.net