1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: ebley@thecity.sfsu.edu
Date: 12 Apr 1996 12:57:05
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Contaminants and Innovative Technology

From: Erika Bley <ebley@thecity.sfsu.edu>

On behalf of the Bay Area Defense Conversion Action Team (BADCAT), I would
like to express how pleased we are by this innovative new direction taken
by CAL EPA to provide a clearer picture of military base contamination
problems by estimating volumes of contaminated media and mass of
contaminants at the states closing bases. The State of Californias
(Department of Toxic Substance Control, Office of Military Facilities,
California Environmental Protection Agency ) Contaminant Inventory Project
is making possible the part of our work that focuses on integrating new
technologies into base conversion.

For the BADCAT Environmental Technology Partnership Project (BADCAT ETP),
this new method of collecting data, and aggregating it for an entire
region such as the Bay Area, enabled identification of a regional
contamination problem for which the BADCAT ETP could then seek innovative
and emerging environmental technologies to address that contamination
problem.

For those not yet familiar with the BADCAT ETP, a program managed by the
Bay Area Economic Forum (BAEF), we are a public-private collaboration of
BAEF, Bay Area Regional Technology Alliance (BARTA), California
Environmental Protection Agency (CAL EPA), United States Environmental
Protection Agency (US EPA), United States Navy, Chevron Research and
Technology Corporation and other technical experts working to help
expedite transfer of Bay Area closing bases through the application of
emerging and innovative environmental technologies. The BADCAT ETP
expects to expedite cleanup and transfer of properties at the regions 12
closing and closed bases by complementing the on-going investigation and
remediation process with new technologies that can be applied to multiple
Bay Area sites.

The BADCAT ETP currently being piloted is designed to test technologies
on lower priority sites with similar contaminants as sites with high
reuse potential. This strategy ensures the current clean-up process is
not impeded and that successfully tested technologies address problems
common to sites slated for clean-up in the near-term. Technology
providers will self-fund the primary demonstration costs.

As ours is a regional effort, data linking the Bay Areas bases together
was essential to focus on those detection and remediation technologies
that could address regional military base (and most likely private)
clean-up problems. This will then optimize utilization of scare federal
dollars once successfully tested technologies are implemented in current
and future clean-ups.

While BADCAT (and other groups) identified the benefits of matching new
technologies to contaminants common to most of the regions bases, CAL EPA
has made this effort possible by providing data to substantiate our
regional strategy.

Feel free to contact me for more information about the BADCAT ETP.

Erika Bley
ebley@thecity.sfsu.edu
415-357-3100