1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 16:42:08 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: CONTAMINANT MASS

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>

To clarify, Lenny Siegel was the author/presenter of the CONTAMINANT
MASS posting.

Aimee Houghton

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 08:49:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Peter Wood <petwoo@thecity.sfsu.edu>
To: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
cc: "Recipients of list cpro.military" <careerpro@igc.org>

As the principal author of the referenced report, I feel it necessary to
make an editorial comment on Aimee's presentation of its contents. While
mass is presented in terms of relative percentages by type, site data is
presented as the number of sites (not percentage of sites) where it is
found. For the Closing Bay area Naval installations, we inventoried soil
contamination at 135 sites and inorganic soil contamination at 85 sites.
At closing Bay area Army installations, we inventoried soil contamination
at 65 sites and inorganic contamination at 40 sites. At Mather AFB, we
inventoried soil contamination at 26 sites and total petroleum
hydrocarbon contamination at 11 sites. Finally, at Sacramento Army
Depot, we inventoried soil contamination at 10 sites and inorganic
contamination at 4 sites.

So, if you replace all references to percentage of sites with number of
sites, Aimee's presentation is completely accurate.

I have given Lenny a copy of the entire report including graphs for
those of you who are interested. In a nutshell, mass gives us (you,
me and everybody else) a common denominator by which we can begin to
interpret the vast amounts of environmental data that has been
collected over the past 15+ years. The data suggest that total
petroleum contamination together with inorganic contamination (mainly
antimony, copper, lead and zinc) represent approx. 90% of the total
contaminant mass found in the soil at Bay area Naval installations.
However, it is important to note that other soil contaminants may pose
a much greater risk to human health and the environment than those
presented above. So, mass alone does not tell the whole story. I
believe that risk assessments that incorporate mass data will enable
us to accurately prioritize cleanup actions and better reveal where
we should be spending limited cleanup technology research and
development dollars. Mass can also be used to show incremental
cleanup progress and maybe help demonstrate to Congress the
progress we've made since 1980.