1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 16:52:10 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: CLEANUP REFORM

THIS IS A RE-POSTING. THE ORIGINAL WAS GARBLED. IT
IS A FAIRLY LONG FILE.

I prepared the following remarks for a panel presentation tomorrow
(11/15/95) at the National Environmental Policy Institute Cleanup
Forum/Department of Navy Environmental and Natural Resource
Program Managers Meeting in San Diego, California. However, the
meeting was shut down at noon today because of the Federal budget
impasse. LS

Reform Cleanup without Weakening Goals

by Lenny Siegel
November, 1995

 The current national approach to cleaning up hazardous wastes
often gets the job done, but it's frustrating. Polluters and other
responsible parties argue that they're required to spend too much
money. Communities aren't sure that their health or the natural
environment is being adequately protected.

 While there are many creative reforms in the wind, the thrust
of most proposals for administrative and legislative reform is to reduce
cleanup. As a someone who lives within a few miles of more than a
dozen Superfund sites, including Moffett Naval Air Station, this
worries me. I am sure there are some situations where current rules
and procedures force unrealistic cleanup remedies, but I am equally
certain that the existing process allows as much contamination to be
swept under the tarmac.

 Unless we can be assured, to scientific certainty, that
hazardous substances are breaking down into harmless byproducts
faster than they are being spread or released, then we should carefully
question cleanup requirements that permanently leave contamination in
place. I recognize, however, that we're still figuring out how to deal
with certain types of contamination, such as radionuclides and
unexploded ordnance.

 Partial solutions based upon limited future land or water use
scenarios not only pose a threat to public health and the environment,
but they lower the value of the affected property, whether that value is
measured by resale value or simply potential public use. Decision to
weaken standards based upon use may pass on environmental costs to
future generations, so we should be treat such decisions in the same
vein as the periodic vote to raise the national debt.

 I also believe that the fundamental principle of our current
system of liability - that the polluter must pay - is not only fair, but it
provides generators of hazardous waste with an enormous incentive to
properly manage or prevent the generation of wastes. In my
experience, both the electronics industry and the military have become
leaders in pollution prevention because they've been hit hard with the
cost of cleanup.

 I do think there is room for new approaches, however, where
cleanup costs are absorbed by responsible parties who in fact bear no
responsibility for the contamination.

 But I didn't come here to defend the current system. In
redefining our approach to cleanup, I support three essential reforms.
All of these are underway to some degree or another, but in today's
political climate they do not achieve the spotlight proffered to
proposals to weaken cleanup objectives.

1. Actual investigation or cleanup, not the delivery of documents,
should be the measurable goal of cleanup programs.

2. The funding, management, and oversight of cleanup should
cut through arbitrary geographic boundaries and distinctions among
media.

3. Direct public participation in the oversight of cleanup should
be strengthened.

REDUCE THE FOCUS ON DOCUMENTS

 When I first read the Federal Facilities Agreement for Moffett
Field, I was confused. The schedule established milestones for the
completion of a long series of documents, but it didn't really tell me
when actual cleanup would be accomplished. I attributed my
confusion to my naivet, but when our group finally hired a technical
consultant, he asked essentially the same question. I concluded, over a
period of time, that our system of conducting investigation and
cleanup contains built-in inefficiencies, based upon the endemic focus
on the production of documents.

 When I agreed to serve on the External Review Group of the
Air Combat Command's project on Streamlined Oversight, I found
out how extensive that inefficiency was. The project concluded:

 Findings of the report suggest that the current set of
institutional relationships that form the regulatory oversight process
accounts for significant time and money spent on the investigation and
cleanup of Air Force hazardous waste sites. Estimates suggest that this
process may account for as much as 60 percent of the time and 10
percent of the costs of a typical Remedial Investigation/Feasibility
Study (RI/FS). These costs are not the result of individual players
(regulators, Air Force, contractors, community) in the oversight
interaction failing to conduct their jobs properly, but rather the
existence of a system that is often driven by documents and
deliverables, as well as definitions of roles and responsibilities that
may be inherently inefficient.^1

 The project consultants also found out that state and regulatory
agencies not only did not have the capacity to review the documents
that regularly cross their desk, but that the continuing generation of
new documents will put them further and further behind. That is,
activities are not only delayed by the time it takes to review and
comment on documents, but by the time it takes the regulator to pore
through the backlog of documents he or she must address first.

 I'm not sure why, but government participants in the project
were surprised to hear that environmentalist representatives didn't like
facing a bookshelf full of documents for every site that concerned us.
But even if the best of situations, activists don't have the resources to
review every last detail of a cleanup activity. We want to focus our
energy in overseeing and advising on critical decisions.

 Why do we have to move so much paper before we move dirt?
Many of the documents are not even required by law. Others need not
be so bulky. There are many reasons, including the following:

* The cleanup process, originally developed for private facilities,
is inherently adversarial. Thus, each party generates, reviews, and
responds to comments on the assumption that their lawyers will have
to go to court to defend their position. In fact, often after the engineers
have done their work, their respective lawyers routinely go through it.

* When the process was developed, computer networking
systems that facilitate the sharing of data in electronic form were not
generally accessible.

* Consultants, it appears, must get paid by the page. They often
repeat boilerplate and other material in multiple documents.

 The solution, of course, is for all parties to agree up front
which documents are really necessary. For large facilities, such as
military bases, it is possible to generate standard documents that guide
work at numerous sites, and then to prepare "exception reports" where
site-specific conditions dictate changes. The more the parties trust each
other - and trust does not require agreement on all issues of substance
- the easier it is to streamline the process.

 These are the type of recommendations found in the Air
Combat Command report. Since this is a Navy audience, I want to
assure you that I have seen the Navy implement similar approaches,
independently, before the Air Force.

 I have taken this position to Capitol Hill, where legislative
staff have repeatedly attacked the long trail of studies associated with
cleanup. One committee, in fact, has proposed an arbitrary cap on
Defense Department cleanup studies. Perhaps I am too optimistic, but
key Congressional staff appear to understand the need for actual
sampling and analysis, but like many of the rest of us, are frustrated
with the paperwork.

ELIMINATE ARBITRARY BOUNDARIES

 Government work, unfortunately, forces competent, assertive
people into their own little boxes. Those who attempt to extend their
authority or oversight often get slapped down. However, to get
cleanup done, that's exactly what's necessary.

 First, there is the need to overcome geographic boundaries.
For example, Moffett Field shares a vast plume of TCE with several
nearby electronics companies, but historically U.S. EPA has assigned
separate Remedial Project Managers (RPMs) to the military and
civilian parties. It took us a long time to get the civilian party RPM to
meetings of the Navy Technical Review Committee. Now the both
RPMs come to the Restoration Advisory Board, and they both play an
important role. NASA, whose areas of responsibility overlap the two
"Superfund" areas, also sends their RPM to the RAB and RPM
meetings.

 Similarly in Tucson, there are numerous responsible parties at
the Tucson Airport "Superfund" site. Each separate party, until
recently, had a separate advisory group or forum for dealing with the
public. Community activists stopped coming to meetings because
there were too many. Only when the public participation process was
consolidated did the community return to the table.

 Second, as you know, the cleanup of environmental
contamination is covered by a range of Federal and state laws. Funds
may come from a variety of budgets. For example, petroleum
contamination - in the absence of interaction with other contamination
- is dealt with separately from solvents. While we debate when
munitions become a hazardous waste, the military allows cleanup
money to be used to clear closed ranges at closed bases but clearance
for closed or inactive ranges at active bases must be funded elsewhere.
At closing bases, the remediation of lead paint and asbestos is not
even considered part of cleanup.

 From the community's point of view, contamination is
contamination. Cleanup and oversight at each facility should be
consolidated. Even where laws and budget guidance documents
appear to require distinct programs, it should still be possible to
coordinate them. Why reinvent the backhoe every time a jurisdictional
boundary is crossed?

LISTEN TO THE PUBLIC

 As the neighbor of numerous "Superfund" sites, I have always
held that I have a right to be involved in the cleanup process.
Contamination can affect the health of my family, the integrity of our
local environment, and even our property values. But as a volunteer, I
only expect an advisory role. I want clear, concise information early in
the process. I want the opportunity to advise and otherwise interact
with decision-makers before decisions are made. And if I'm really
dissatisfied, you'll know about it.

 That is, if I don't like the decisions or actions of the
responsible parties, I can take my case to the regulators. If that doesn't
work, I can go to elected officials. I don't expect to challenge the
responsible parties every time I'm unhappy, but I - and the
organizations that I belong to - expect contest remedies, standards, or
schedules if I consider them a serious risk. I consider cleanup to be, in
the final analysis, a political process, so I am prepared to go to local
government, the press, and even door-to-door to organize support for
my positions.

 The Restoration Advisory Boards (RABs) and similar groups
established by Federal agencies are to a large degree based upon our
experiences at Moffett Field. Community activists learned, early in the
operation of our Technical Review Committee, that the Navy was
serious about cleanup. The Navy learned that even the most militant
community activists actually wanted cleanup, too. This fundamental
recognition of a common goal, despite other differences, had led to a
trust relationship between the community and the Navy. It has also
made it easier for the regulatory agencies to form a partnership with
the Navy.

 Most observers agree that RABs are a public relations success,
at the vast majority of facilities, and many participants are downright
enthusiastic. It will be some time, however, before we know how
much the RABs contribute to safer, better, faster, and cheaper
cleanup. I believe that the Moffett RAB will advance those objectives,
but for other boards to be successful they must entail all the
components that we've put together at Moffett:

1. The RAB must be broadly representative of the community,
not just left-wing tree-huggers like myself. At the other extreme, it
should not consist entirely of retired military officers and the base
commander's racquetball partners. When you achieve consensus
among activists, local government, local business interests, etc. up
front, you can expect fewer problems down the road.

2. State and or federal regulators should have clear regulatory
jurisdiction. It's impossible to build a productive partnership when
one party holds all the cards. Once there is a balance of power, it's
possible to get beyond the adversarial relationships that have
obstructed cleanup in the past.

3. The military should, sometimes at least, listen to the
community. The Navy at Moffett won points when, at our request, the
checked the 565,000-gallon storage tanks for leaks. That's more than
just public relations.

4. Information and proposals should be shared, if they're
relevant, even in the absence of a legal requirements. Nothing builds
suspicion more than withholding information. In fact, people often
demand information simply because they've been told that they can't
have it. At Moffett, we've worked out procedures through which
subcommittees of the RAB receive documents automatically, while
other members only receive them upon request.

5. The community needs access to independent technical help. At
Moffett and the surrounding civilian sites, the community receives
EPA technical assistance grants, and our consultants have helped us
frame our role constructively in the process. At non-Superfund sites
such as North Island, however, community members of an otherwise
effective RAB are telling me that their work is severely constrained by
the lack of such support.

6. RPMs and other field officials should not be penalized for
taking the time to interact with the public or the regulatory agencies.
Timetables set important goals, but more often than not working
things out early in the process will save time and other resources later.

 I recognize that many government officials have bought into
the concept of public participation because they want community
groups to take the heat for decisions to skip or delay cleanup activities.
That's not enough. The affected public not only has the right, but it
often has site-specific expertise, to improve the entire cleanup
program. We don't want to bust the budget. We don't consider every
single site top priority. Participation in the process actually takes a lot
of time and energy.

 Nothing undermines our trust for the process more than
proposals which would allow polluters to avoid their obligation to
clean up after themselves. If that's what meant by reform, then the
entire system will grind to a halt. If reform means spreading
successful techniques, some of which I have mentioned earlier, then
the spirit of partnership will bring better results.

^1. Versar Corporation, "Moving Sites Faster through Streamlined
Oversight," US Air Force Air Combat Command, August, 1995.