1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: coho@whidbey.net
Date: 13 Sep 1995 10:10:28
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Request for RAB Selection Processes

Posting from Bill Skubi <coho@whidbey.net>

>>Aimee,

This is Bill Skubi on Whidbey Island. This is my experiential understanding
of how the NAS Whidbey RAB has evolved. A more "official" version could
probably be had from Community Co-chair Ed Oetkin or the NAS Whidbey Island
Environmental office.

In the Summer of 1993 NAS Whidbey was chosen one of a handful of US Military
bases undergoing DERA cleanup to establish a RAB as part of a pilot program.

Initial selection of RAB members included a roll-over of the existing TRC
and addition of new members. These additions included community activists
who had previously petitioned for a place on the TRC and were denied. In
addition to these voluntary additions their were several appointments made.
All members were selected at the discretion of the Commanding Officer. In
March 1994 the first published RAB membership list contained over twenty
names. Significantly few persons regularly attended meetings.
After meeting for several months the subject of membership selection was
raised within the RAB and w began a process to select additional members and
remove persons that did not regularly attend.
The membership committee operated openly and efficiently. Suggestions were
entertained and discussed at our regular meeting. My only criticism of this
process is that my suggestion that a representative of the Asian American
community was not recruited. My suggestion followed language found in the
ATSDR Health Risk Assessment that noted that ethnic Asian living in the area
might be at higher risk due to higher intake of native shellfish. I felt
that this acknowledgement of potentially higher risk and the likelihood that
this community is in many ways separate (language, cultural values,
information sources) from the community at large that it was only right and
prudent that we take measures to make sure they were informed and part of
the cleanup process. To my surprise and consternation I could not get this
point of view across to the rest of the board. The EPA argued the ATSDR
assessment had been superceded by subsequent testing that showed no human
health risk in shellfish consumption. Community members took the stand that
since no ethnic Asians had applied for membership that they were not
interested, and one member of the board declared herself an Asian-American,
implying there was no benefit catering to special interest groups. The Navy
took no position, certainly no leadership position on this.
New persons have been added to the RAB as a result of the membership
process, among them Mr. Oetkin, our community co-chair.
In looking back over this and other issues that have arisen in the couse of
the 1 and a half years of RAB activity I see a group ready willing and able
to undertake the minimal and regular duties of the RAB, but one that
periodically comes unglued when the harder issues call for attention.

Bill Skubi
Communications Coordinator
Whidbey Islanders for a Sound Environment
P.O. Box 773/ Coupeville WA 98239
Tel. (360) 678-6377
e-mail: coho@whidbey.net