1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 23:15:41 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Information request:Technology in t

I'm looking for any information on the PURUS PADRE system, which is a
resin based system used to capture vapors that come off of a soil vapor
extraction system. It is an innovative technology that apparently has
run into a few problems -- at a few sites where it is operating highly
corrosive acids have formed, eating away at its insides. At a
Superfund site that I am working at, the Air Force is planning to order
several of these systems.
The first question I have is has there been any positive experience
with these systems. Please get back to me if your site is using or
contemplating using this system.
The second question I have is more general in nature. Apparently, the
manufacturer has been losing money, and there is concern that it might
go belly-up; or at the very least, may not be able to honor its
warranty and technical support commitments. Does anyone have
experience with a technology that is installed and the manufacturer
cannot meet its commitments? How has that affected overall performance
of cleanup? Are there conditions that the community should insist on
before it gives its approval for such a technology? Any help or
comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Peter Strauss