1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 00:44:33 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Attack on Env. Protection.

As a Technical Advisor to two groups with EPA TAG grants, which also
participate in RABs, and another at a DOE site without an SSAB, I believe
that the reponses to the Attack on the Environment cover the range of
the value of technical assistance to the RAB. At one RAB, I am able
to help get a group of skilled people up to speed on the technical
details of the documents. I don't think volunteers, no matter how ded-
icated, can read all the material that is necessary. So in this case, the
main result of my efforts is to level the playing field. I also think
that as a result, DoD has had an easier time talking to the public. In
the second instance, the community does not trust the military, and it
views my particpation as crucial in setting the tone for their response to
DoD plans. In the third instance, I am more or less on call to explain
issues which the community group thinks are important.