1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 17:15:39 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: ALERT! RAB TECH ASSISTANCE THREATEN

RAB TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FUNDING THREATENED
Lenny Siegel
July 17, 1995

 Just as the Defense Department appeared finally to be
making progress in the establishment of a technical assistance
program to provide independent technical help and other
support for the community members of Restoration Advisory
Boards, the Senate Armed Services Committee, without
warning, has recommended changes that could destroy the
program before it even gets underway.

 I just received the legislative language and report of the
Senate Defense Authorization bill, which I believe has not yet
gone to the floor, so I could use help in interpreting the
language. I do not yet know the politics of the changes, or
what can be done to prevent them. Stay tuned for additional
information!

 The Senate bill makes three changes in the Underwood-
Kohl amendment, included in last year's Defense Authorization
Act.

1) It reduces the maximum amount specified for RAB support
from $7.5 million to $4 million. Since the $7.5 million has not
been spent, this was to be expected.

2) It combines RAB administrative support, currently handled
by each base, with technical assistance funding. This could
dramatically reduce both administrative and potential
technical support. (This is the part that I could use the help of
someone else who has the entire language.)

3) IT DROPS THE NOTION OF "INDEPENDENT" ASSISTANCE,
PROPOSED BY THE "KEYSTONE" FEDERAL FACILITIES
ENVIRONMENTAL RESTORATION DIALOGUE COMMITTEE AND
LEGISLATED BY THE UNDERWOOD-KOHL AMENDMENT.

The new bill says (!!!!), "The commander of an installation may
obtain technical assistance for a technical review committee or
restoration advisory board under paragraph (1) with respect
to an installation only if the Federal, State, and local agencies
responsible for overseeing environmental restoration at the
installation, the contractors carrying out environmental
restoration at the installation, and available Department of
Defense personnel do not have the technical expertise
necessary for achieving the objective for which the technical
assistance is to be obtained."

 The Committee misses the point. The military, its
contractors, and the regulatory agencies have plenty of
technical expertise. But community stakeholders cannot
effectively function - other than as rubber stamps - unless
they have access to technical consultants that they select and
direct.