1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 23:25:35 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Land-use Part II

A situation has been developing at Moffett Field which I think should
demonstrate some of the problems that we have in defining where clean-up
and land-use overlap. There are two landfills which the Navy proposes to
cap and monitor for 30 years. However, this $4.0 million plus remedy only
works someone continues to operate the drain system at Moffett. Otherwise,
the landfills would be totally inundated, with subsequent releases of leachate.
So as this remedy is proposed, it must be contingent upon operating and
maintaining a drain system in perpituity. We know that the Navy, or NASA (pr
(present owner of the site) cannot make such a committment. Nor, with the
present climate in Washington, can we be assured that either of these
entities will choose to operate the air field (and the drain system) in two
years let alone into the foreseeable future.
I don't see a solution to this problem on the horizon.

Peter Strauss