1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Merv Tano <mervtano@netcom.com>
Date: 10 Jun 1995 10:03:14
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Comments of RAB Workshop

Posting from mervtano@netcom.com (Mervyn L. Tano)

Following is my response to David Keiths comments re the RAB Workshop
in San Francisco last weekend. Lenny suggested I post it to all. This
is it with some slight editorial changes.

Mr. Keith,

I appreciated reading your observations regarding last weekend's
RAB workshop. I thought it might be worth while to expand on my
suggestion that the Restoration Advisory Boards "dance with the devil".

My sense is that the RABs are confronted by three sets of issues.
First, are those issues related to the immediate environmental
restoration activities taking place on DOD facilities. These are the
issues that the Department of Defense wants addressed and the basis for
establishing the RABs in the first place. Second, are the conversion or
future use issues. These are, of course, directly related to the first
order environmental restoration issues, but in the main, the Department
of Defense would like to keep these two sets of issues
compartmentalized.

If we use the military metaphor, these first two sets of issues are
battles or skirmishes in the present classic war. My point is this: we
are not engaged in a war in the classic sense, but are instead, engaged
in a long-term, peoples' liberation movement. The environmental
restoration activities at Fort Ord will someday be completed. The
Rocky Mountain Arsenal will also be eventually environmentally
restored. However, these will be replaced by other problems, other
environmental restoration issues, other "enemies" if you will. Your
and your community's immediate concern is Westover AFB, but your
children's may be an army facility in Georgia, a refinery in Texas or a
nuclear reactor in Arizona.

The technology of public participation you and other RAB members are
developing today can be used by your children 10 years from now and by
my grandchildren 20 years hence. Do the RAB members need to be
geohydrologists, chemists or other technical experts? I don't believe
so. I do believe that they should be or become experts in public
participation, however. At present, RAB members have access to
technical consultants to decipher reports and studies. This is a fine
tactic for today. I do not think that it is an appropriate tactic ten
years from today. At that time I would like that technical consultant
to be my daughter who works for a community-based environmental
restoration organization and the project manager at the Air Force
Center for Environmental Excellence to be your son.

I think that the third set of issues faced by RABs is one of long-term
organizational and community development. I think that the question
the RABs have to confront is this: "Are the RABs ephemera, the
artifacts of which, fifty years from now, will be found in archives and
the activities of which are memorialized in dissertations and learned
journals, or will the RABs live on as an integral part of a new
paradigm for decision-making in the United States. The point of my
presentation last Saturday was to encourage RAB members to choose the
latter option. I do not underestimate the magnitude of the challenges
facing RAB members today, but I encourage them to create some space and
time to consider the longer term issues and to think about establishing
community-based and community-directed technical, advocacy
organizations that can help us fight tomorrow's war. I am not
suggesting the establishment of independent organizations that pursue
their own agenda. The challenge is to create and operate technical
organizations that are directed by and responsive to community-based
organizations and community needs.